Long cranking 2005 Legacy 2.5 I

Have a three week old 2.5I Legacy with AT. The last few days the morning start would take a few seconds on cranking before it would start. Prior to this it would fire up after a couple of spins. The local dealer had the car sit for 8 hours, and found no problem, and computer showed all OK. Next step will be to leave it to sit over night. Has this problem come up before, and maybe some causes?

Reply to
JT

Steve Johnson

Change gasolines.

Reply to
Bob H

JT scribbled:

My car is parked in a slope, nose up and I had the same problem. This is how I solved it: turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds before cranking the engine. When I do, It'll fire up almost immediately. Why? Search me but this is one possible explanation: I figure that the few seconds before trying to launch the engine allow time for the electric fuel pump to build up the pressure in the fuel line. If you try it, post back and let me know if it works.

Reply to
Mark IV

When you get ready to turn the key do you instinctively press down on the gas pedal? You shouldn't. You have a fuel-injected engine.

What I find is if I turn the key and then let it go almost immediately it will start right away. If I hold it in the start position for a few seconds it takes longer to start. Hard to describe actually, but the quicker I let it go, the faster it starts in general. Not every day, but most days. There does seem to be a degree to which weather and humidity affects how quickly it will start. Nothing I can put my finger on, but some days it just works better.

Reply to
kstahl