Loose front axle???

Hey, When my 2000 Legacy GT wagon was on the lift a while ago, I noticed the inner front axle (near the cv joint) has some wiggle to it. You can grab the axle and actually move it a little bit. Is this supposed to be like this? If not, what might be causing it? I notice when I hit a bumpy road, especially when turning, that it sounds like something under there near the axles is bottoming out, and it doesn't sound like the suspension. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reply to
CanonLaw

Probably OK; the ball bearings/spider assembly/splines/etc. that make up the inner joint will have a fair bit of slack radially and axially. Should be pretty tight in the direction of rotation, tho. Tough to diagnose with the axle installed (unless the boot is obviously torn or otherwise damaged), but it will typically give plenty of warning in the form of a clunk-clunk-clunk noise when accelerating thru a tight turn (might even feel a pulsing in the steering if it's real bad) before failing entirely.

Worn swaybar bushings? Broken rear swaybar mounts or end links? Broken/missing exhaust hanger/rubber thingie? Loose fasteners on suspension components, rear diff, rear bumper, trailer hitch? Loose spare/jack/junk in the cargo tray? Loose/worn latch on rear hatch? (I like that; hatch latch! Check yer hatch latch . . . :-)

Less likely; failing rear strut and/or lower ball joint? Worn suspension arm bushings? Worn brake caliper assembly? A careful inspection should find the problem; grab it and shake it. Look for oil on the strut body, grease on the ball joint boot. Take a wrench to the various nuts and bolts.

Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.