Loose gas cap - Check engine light?

Can a loose gas cap cause the Check Engine light to com eon? My check engine light came on day before yesterday and then yesterday I noticed that the gas cap was not closed properly (so it probably wasn't seaing like it should) - eventually today the Check engine light went off so I am wondering if the loose cap may be a connection?

02 Forester S, 55K miles thanks
Reply to
Porky

ismlv

Absolutely, it happened to me this week. I live in NJ and all gasoline is full service, so I have to keep a close eye on the attendant when filling. Having the tank on right hand side makes it difficult to hear the 'click'. When CEL light came on, I removed cap and tightened it and light was off next morning when i started car.

Reply to
Jim

Yes.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Yes, it can, and probably was the reason the Check Engine light came on.

Reply to
<KL1809