Loud TripleTreds on '06 Forester

After a few days of online research, I had a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds installed on my '06 Forester. The idea was to get a good combination of performance and touring.

Well, the tires aren't exactly quiet. In fact, they seem rather loud. I don't relish the prospect of listening to these tires roaring down the highway on long road trips.

Any Forester road-trippers out there with advice on quieter touring?

Reply to
jpd

A friend has the Michelin Hydroedge on his MY04 Forester, and they certainly are quiet by my standards. However, I've not heard the TripleTreds, so can't say if the Hydroedges are quieter in this case.

Have you tried varying the tire pressure a bit? Sometimes that helps, if only a bit.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I found the tripletreads to be quieter than the stock geolandars. Try the comfort tread.

Reply to
Grolch

Bill is right.

When they istalled ConforTread on my Outback I was surprised how noisy they were. I pulled over after 10 min. of driving, checked pressure and noticed that they were set to 40PSI vs. 30 and 29 (front/back respectively). Once I lowered it my ride was a whole different story.

Voja

Reply to
Voja Ilic

It's pretty common for most tire places to up the air pressure. Everytime I get tires at my tire place I check the pressure myself. Generally, every tire is a different pressure, and often they go to the maximum stamped on the side of the tire.

The assumption is you'll never check the pressure yourself, so they want to make sure there's enough air in there to last the life of the tread. lol Oil places do the same thing, assuming most people don't check their oil.

Reply to
Sheldon

Voja-

Did you remember to compensate for heat build-up? A tire that is lets say, correctly filled to 30psi, will likely read around 34psi after driving for several miles.

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall

I'm going to get either the Hydroedge or Tripletred for my 01 Outback. It's curious to read the Tirerack reviews for both tires, where some say the noise is excessive and others say the tires are quiet.

Reply to
John Rethorst

When I bought my used '00 Forester, it had relatively new Firestones "mud & snow" on it.

Unfortunately, I found these tires to be not so good in snow and slush. So I decided to replace them with TripleTreds. So far, I love them! Not only are they much better in snow and slush, they appear to be MUCH quieter than the Firestones.

I did though notice a decrease in fuel economy with the TripleTreds. It helped though when I brought the pressure down from the 40 psi that Discount Tires had pumped into them when they were installed.

Reply to
ruzicka4613