MA state emissions inspection for AWD

I was reading on the End Wrench website an archive from spring 98 that states that all Subaru full-time and AWD vehicles are exempt from the two-wheel dynomometer testing for state emmisions inpections. Is this still true? I ask because the last time my 95 Legacy was inspected in MA two years ago (MA requires the emissions test every other year), the mechanic (not at a dealer) put the car through its emission tests in neutral, not simply the idle test that is mentioned on endwrech. I'm due for emissions inspection again in April and I'll be going back to the same garage. Will I be able to mention this to the mechanic or has the law (in MA) changed?

Reply to
John

As far as I know if it is a 1995 or earlier AWD you get a non dyno tail pipe only. If 1996 or later they just plug directly into your OBD-II plug and get the readings from there. If you are concerned call the station and ask them. Might also be able to find something on the RMV web site.

Ed Fortmiller

Sounds like the same test as CA for all wheel drive. Here it's a 2 speed idle test, one part at 2500 rpm and one part at idle both parts in park or neutral.

Reply to
Greg

Yes, because you'll damage the centre differential. To do it properly, you need a four wheel dyno.

Reply to
Dominic Richens