major blind spots in remote lock receiver

Recently my 2000 OBW has been showing peculiar blind spots in its range. I find that it doesn't accept commands from the remote in certain angles, however if you get it at just the proper angles you can get it to open or close from long distances. Anything simple I can do to fix this? Like cleaning some contacts or something?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I would probably start by replacing the battery. The angles may involve receiver antenna to fob relationships that a fresh battery will increase the output and overcome.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Replace the battery. If you've had the same one in the remote since

2000, its time to replace it.
Reply to
Ragnar

Hi,

The serious part of this answer is to replace the battery as the guys have already said.

Once you've done that, an amateur radio operator showed me a "fun" thing w/ automotive remotes. He walked out far enough his remote wouldn't operate on the vehicle. Then he held the remote to his forehead near the temple, and pushed the button. "Beep, beep" came from the vehicle!

He explained how it works--I don't exactly recall the details, but, no, he doesn't have a plate in his head!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Just holding the remote up over your head will do the same. You're just getting a line-of-sight angle for the RF, no side-of-head or under-your- chin stuff going on. ;-)

Reply to
CompUser

replacing the battery. The angles may

Damn, I should have mentioned right in my original message that the battery in the key fob has already been replaced (wrote it out late at night, details escaped me). And it did help out considerably, except in the blind spots. If I can get it in one of its non-blind spots, then I can lock/unlock the car from considerable (amazing actually) distance with the new battery.

That brings up another question, is it possible that my key fob is the one that's too directional rather than the received in the car?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

Actually I've noticed that sometimes holding the remote up over my head sometimes helps, but it has to be held up quite high, possibly higher than I have arms for.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

Yep, holding at your chin (and possibly playing with different orientations there, horizontal/vertical) uses the front of the body like a reflector - possibly better than holding over the head in some instances.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan