Matrix or Subaru

I've been considering either car. Similarly equipped that are within a few hundred dollars.

I like the interior on the Toyota better but the Subaru has a history of

4-wheel drive an the Subaru also has more horsepower and torque.

The interior on the Subaru is really boring though.

Which car should I get?

Reply to
LBJGH

I work at a Pontiac dealer (Vibe same as Matrix) we don't have much problems with the Vibe but IMHO it's butt ugly. Power compared to my 02' Impreza is similar. But it's UGLY. Did I mention the Vibe is UGLY.

Reply to
Greg

Then get the Matrix...different sheet metal, same mechanicals and a MUCH lower MSRP

Reply to
null_pointer

I don't mind the style of either Pontiac/Toyota but the Pontiac has a nicer interior. the Toyota is cheaper though.

I think if the Impreza had a nicer interior I get the Subaru because of the extra power and proven drivetrain.

Reply to
LBJGH

This is only my opinion. I was looking at the Matrix vs. WRX Wagon in 2002 when both were coming out. After seeing the Matrix I am very glad I got the WRX. The Matrix in my opinion is Ugly. In '02 when I looked they offered three versions of the Matrix.

1) low Hp engine FWD, 2) High Hp engine FWD, 3) low Hp engine AWD. This made no since to me, so I bought the WRX. The power of the engine is very nice and the AWD system is what Subaru is known for. My family has two Subarus and they both run very very well over the last 4 years. Last year on multiple trips to the snow and ice in Northern California mountains I had no problems at all. The interior is nice in the WRX and has held up well since I bought it. The only problem I have had is that any bump on the front or rear bumpers causes the paint to fall off where it touched. But I assume this is a common problem on plastic painted bumpers. So my suggestion would be the Impreza if you can afford the price, not to mention the turbo is just too much fun to drive.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Arata
4 > years. > Last year on multiple trips to the snow and ice in Northern California > mountains I had no problems at all. > The interior is nice in the WRX and has held up well since I bought it. > The only problem I have had is that any bump on the front or rear bumpers > causes the paint to fall off where it touched. But I assume this is a > common problem on plastic painted bumpers. > So my suggestion would be the Impreza if you can afford the price, not to > mention the turbo is just too much fun to drive. >
Reply to
William S. Hubbard

My lease was up on my 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS and as much as I loved the car, it didn't make economic sense to buy it. Unfortunately, the styling and options on the 2.5 RS changed so dramatically over the 3 years that I didn't want to replace it with the same model. The WRX styling and price didn't impress me much either, so I began my quest for an AWD alternative.

After much research, I wound up at the Toyota dealer, convinced that the Matrix was the car for me. I was all set to sign on the dotted line when my friend, the sales manager at the nearby Subaru dealership, called and urged me to visit him before I bought the Matrix.

He asked me to test drive an '04 Legacy sedan Anniversary edition, and I reluctantly agreed. We already have an '03 Legacy sedan at home so I was very familiar with the car and didn't see the point in getting another vehicle of duplicate function. I drove it anyway just to appease my friend.

The Legacy doesn't have the same sporty suspension and responsiveness as the 2.5 RS and the Matrix, but it had a smooth, quiet ride, great pick-up and acceleration and a luxurious feel. For some reason, it didn't feel as conservative as our '03 model, or maybe I just drove it differently.

The anniversary package adds moonroof, alloy wheels, leather steering wheel, and power adjusted driver seat, which made it an incredible deal. It seems like the Outbacks and WRXs get the most recognition from consumers and the Legacy is often overlooked, so I found it to be an undervalued car. You can get one now for a price that is only slightly more than the Matrix, but it is a sturdier vehicle with more power, more options, and more luxury.

I picked up my Regatta Red Legacy sedan this past weekend and feel that I got an incredible car for the money.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Robyn

Reply to
Robyn

Well I had a chance to drive a few vehicles today.

  1. Subaru Impreza TS Wagon (auto)- Nice enough but quite gutless considering it is supposed to be 165hp.

  1. Subaru Impreza WRX (std) - OMFG! This is one VERY fast car! I just can't see spending an extra ,000 over the non-turbo TS Wagon. Did I mention the thing is really fast?

  2. Forester Turbo (auto) - seemed a little too tipsy (truck-like) but wow, lots of go-straight-fast performance with the turbo. Damn thing was ,000! :o Again too much to spend.

  1. Acura EL (auto) - I didn't bother test-driving it. I sat inside and found it a little too small for our primary family vehicle.

  2. Honda Element (auto) - don't ask.... Damn nice utility on the inside, ugly as sin on the outside, terrible driving dynamics (especially with today's cross winds) I went two blocks and took the thing right back to the dealer.

Which leaves me with the last test drive...

  1. Honda Accord (auto) - Wow, what an impressive car to drive. 160hp 4 cyl and 5-speed automatic. The car was smooth, quick, quiet... I'm sold! My wife actually did 30km/hr above the average speed on highway
400 and the motor wasn't even breathing hard. Rated at 44mpg on the highway too.

If I had purchased my current Saturn SL instead of leased it I could have done a deal this afternoon. I have 10 months on my lease which amounts to $1500 that I'd have to swallow ($150/monthx10months).

I suggested to my wife if we wait a few months we could order a car (thus justifying the $1,095.00 delivery and PDI) and p/u the car close to the end of the lease...

Now to sign up to the APA, Car Cost Canada or similar organization to get the real cost of the car to start negotiations.

Reply to
LBJGH

The WRX is out because TS wagon cost so much less. The TS wagon (auto) is out, because it's gutless. Have you tried it in a stick-shift? I don't find my Forester 5-speed (heavier, but same engine & trans as the TS Wagon) gutless at all, and my other car is certainly faster than the Accord.

If you don't giving up the utility of a small wagon for a sedan, the Accord might be the best choice though.

Reply to
David
  1. My wife doesn't drive a standard transmission so it has to be an automatic.
  2. The WRX is ,000can ,000 more than the wagon.
  3. The forester was amazingly fast with the turbo but sounded tinny... could hear every rock hitting the inside of the wheel well.
  4. I only have two kids so I don't need a lot of utility space... I can make due the few times I need a little more space.

my Forester 5-speed

other car is certainly

Reply to
LBJGH

Honda Element = Bradley Shopping Vehicle.. ;-)

Reply to
Bill Sprague