Metallic noise when clutching?

I am trying to understand how serious/expensive the problem might be:

Few months ago, the car started to make weird noise when I use clutch. At higher engine RPM (around 3,000), when I depress the clutch, at the very end of it a loud sound can be heard (with, perhaps, a *very* short delay). It's hard to describe it, clacking/tinkling maybe - as if two metallic parts slam into each other with some friction involved.

The sound can be heard *before* the use of the shifter. When the RPM is low, however, depressing the clutch does not make this noise. Apart from the noise, shifting/driving is completely normal.

The car is Subaru Impreza 1993 with 91,000 miles on it and a clutch replaced by a dealer at 65Kmi. Other than the clutch and a totally rusted fender, the car has been problem-free. I am thinking about keeping it for few more years - but not if the repairs run more than the car is worth (probably not much more than $1,000?).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
DK

I forget the exact way to diagnose them, but input shaft bearings and clutch release bearings (throwout bearings) are common MT failure items. maybe having a good mechanic take a test drive would be useful? If you post your city here, or at

someone may be able to point you to a soob-knowledgable shop.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

This is Madison, WI. The web site you listed is down. How was it called?

DK

Reply to
DK

try;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I went to a "soob-knowledgable shop" and they fixed the problem quickly and cheaply. Turned out, it was a cracked heat shield (one of them anyway). They welded it and all the noises disappeared right away.

I still find it unusual that it vibrated in response to clutching under specific conditions but live and learn, I guess.

Reply to
DK

Thanx for posting back! Glad I was wrong. I have read about heat shields being a problem on some years of soobs, usually reported as a buzzing at a specific speed.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

This is common on MANY vehicles. It's also a problem that's hard to describe on the 'net, but anyone who calls themselves an professional mechanic should identify in seconds when they hear it in person.

My '01 OBW had a slight buzz when I sold it, my '99 Wrangler has one now ~1800 RPM, and almost every vehicle I've ever owned had it at ont time or another.

Reply to
B A R R Y