mileage question

I am buying a Legacy OBW 2000 which has 123K miles on it. That's an average of 28,000 miles per year. Is such a high mileage (for a 5 year old subaru) considered bad?

Reply to
K-dog

My 2000 has a few more miles than that. Basically 123k mi should be no concern but there are a few things that need checking, repaired by that time. Timing belt should have been replaced by 105k miles. The water pump and front oil seal should also be replaced a same time. The bad new is if we're talking the 2.5L engine, there is a good likelihood you will experience a head gasket failure somewhat soon. Subaru had HG problems with both 2.5L engines until about 02. For the

2000 model the typ failure is a small leak, weeping, at left rear lower cyl. When it starts you're most likely going to see it by looking for coolant drops on bolts and such on the bottom of the engine.

If none of this has been taken care of yet, you can expect to shell out $2k (U.S.) for the repair.

After these repairs are taken of you should have a reliable car for many miles.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

You should appreciate that it is over 2X what is considered normal for any car for a year and blue book value would be discounted. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Edward Hayes

These are all highway miles

Reply to
K-dog

Thanks to Mickey and others for helping out. I got the owner to replace the timing belt, fix the brakes and pretty much take care of everything that showed up on the safety check. she also deducted part of the cost from offer price.

Thanks again!

Reply to
K-dog