Moisture in 2001 Forester S

My son has inherited my Wife's 2001 Forester with 140K Miles. Runs very well but has developed a problem with moister in the car. I noticed last time he was home the windows were pretty fogged up inside in the morning. In slightly warmer weather the windows clear pretty well after he runs it for a while but with the temps not getting out of the low 20's any window that doesn't have a defogger blowing on it stays fogged up.

I cant find any moisture in the rugs or seats. The cargo area is dry. I checked in the spare time well and felt under the dash for moisture. The headliner is dry, too. The windows seal well and there doesn't seem to be any moisture coming in from the moon roof.

Is there a good method for finding where the moisture is coming from? Where should I be looking?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

There should be a black rubber/plastic drain through the firewall, probably in front of the passenger side 'left knee' area, that could be clogged with fungus/goo w'ever. Most cars have them and when you notice water under a car that has been idling in the summer, it drips from this A/C drain. You can carefully use some soft wire or perhaps a long 'zip tie' w'ever to root around in it. If it is clogged, you can get a lot of water collecting in the A/C - sometimes enough to spill out and wet a carpet or grow nasty mold smelling stuff.

Another possibility would be coolant. Though that can sometimes 'smell hot' and or smell sweet like toasted marshmallows. So, check the coolant level.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I did reach up where the drain should be and checked the carpet and didn't see anything but might have missed it. No odor that I can tell, other than normally found in a teenager's car (wait, is that incense?!!).

I will check those areas again to be sure. Thanks for the reply Carl.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

snipped-for-privacy@1g2000yqz.googlegroups.com...

Hmmm...one other thing could be the 'blend door' that switches from recirc to fresh. If it is stuck, it may be a problem with peoples breath/perspiration building up. Though it seem unlikey that would be an issue overnight.

just another wild guess.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

He'll be stopping back home from college this weekend and I'll check these things out. Thanks again.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I may have a related problem. A friend told me to leave the vent switched to mixed windshield/floor and use the windshield only selection for serious ice.

I think it worked.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

I will ask my son to give this a try and let you know how it goes with him. He's been too bogged down by schoolwork to bring the car by the house from college.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Is he running the A/C in the winter? That will dry out the interior air.

Reply to
John Varela