Mr Clean AutoDry and "regular" carwash detergent

OK-

I've been using my new Mr Clean AutoDry car washing system for the past few weeks. I noticed a comment in another NG that it might be possible to use a conventional carwash detergent (rather than the Mr Clean AutoDry detergent) with the Mr Clean deionized water rinse as the final step. I tried it last night with Eagle 1 carwash detergent and it didn't work. The water didn't sheet off like with the Mr Clean detergent. Perhaps it had something to do with the Eagle 1 product, which claims to "enhance waxed finishes".

I now have mild spots on my finish of my 2004 WRX, and the thing didn't completely dry overnight. The water spotting doesn't seem to be too bad - it looks like it'll come off with a proper washing. There's something in their detergent that helps the water come off in sheets. Perhaps there are other detergents that will do the same thing (maybe Meguiar's Soft Wash?). I can't say that you HAVE to use the Mr Clean detergent, but the wrong detergent did lead to a bad result in my case.

Another strange thing is that the unit, and water catridges (incl the refill) are made in China. The trial size detergent is made in Vietnam, although the refills are US made.

Reply to
y_p_w

I liked the idea of the spray-suds, and put some Turtlewax car wash in an Ortho dial-a-spray hose end sprayer...works good so far. I run the softened house water thru the hose (since I'm alone, I'm always under the "minimum flat rate" consumption anyway), then use three old cotton T- shirts to dry off. A lot more convenient than a sponge or brush, for my efforts.

How's the set up on the deionizer cartridge? If it's resin beads like a home softener, it should be indefinitely rechargeable with a brine solution...

Steve MY04 WRX

Reply to
CompUser

I think you have to use the detergent that comes with the unit. Personally, I am amazed at how well the system works. But you have to read and follow the directions. AutoDry seems to work even better if there is a reasonable coat of wax on the finish; at least, that is my observation. And even with the initial cost, for me it comes out quite a bit cheaper than using a local Do-it-yourself car wash.

As far as the components being made in China and Viet Nam; the manufacturer of AutoDry, P&G, is now a global enterprise. Which seems to have worked for that company if you have been following their stock prices.

Reply to
Less Ismore

I've had pretty significant spotting when using just the Meguiar's "Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner" combined with the Mr Clean rinse on my WRX. Last weekend I used the Meguiar's as normal (rinse, bucket wash with cotton towel, rinse) to get rid of the big mud clogs & bugs (hey, a dirty Subaru is in its element :), followed by a Mr Clean soaping(no towel wash) & rinse. Resulted in no spotting...YMMV

Gotta say I do love the Mr Clean rinse...Prior to it I couldn't towel dry my car fast enough before the spotting set in.

Brent.

Reply to
brentlz

My wife has always liked gloss black (groan goes here) paint on her vehicles. And even with my best efforts I could not prevent spotting when washing the car in the driveway or at a pay & spray car wash. Even the expensive car wash drive-thru places left drying spots, often times worse than had I washed the car by hand. I don't pretend to know how AutoDry works, but the wife's car has never looked better. Not to mention cutting down the time I spent washing and drying the car by half or better.

Reply to
Jerry Johnson

I wouldn't be sure how to do that. I don't believe these disposable catridges are built for recharging. I tried soaking a Brita filter in saltwater once, but the end result tasted like saltwater (surprise, surprise). I've got some aquarium water softener filters which are recharged in saltwater.

Reply to
y_p_w

I tried washing again last night. The original spots didn't come out. I removed the most visible spots with Meguiars cleaner/wax and/or Body Scrub and some elbow grease this morning. I'll probably just wax the car tonight. The biggest problems were with the hood and the top of the front bumper. I left my WRX to dry on an inclined driveway with the front up; the water somewhat pooled there. I should probably move it to level ground before letting it dry.

I'm not sure why the detergent was made in Vietnam. It looks like it the AutoDry system is packaged in the US. I've been to China, and have seen lots of P&G products there. The Pringles cans I bought were made in either the US or Belgium (go fig).

Reply to
y_p_w

"I've got the theory down, it's just the execution."

8^)

I'm *sure* they are not _intended_ to be recharged...they want you to shell out another six bucks, or whatever they go for.

Your Brita was probably a carbon/particulate filter, and the brine wouldn't do anything but make it give salty tasting water, yech! With the resin beds, a rinse cycle is used to wash the brine from the beads. I had one of those aquarium deionizer pillow-pouches, years ago, too...anyhoo, being a cheep bastidge, I'd try recharging one if I had it. For now I'm satisfied with spraying the Turtlewax wash on, and dragging the three old T-shirts over my WRX.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

try a light solution of automatic dishwasher detergent. i haven't tried it with the mr. clean apparatus, but that is my normal routine when i strip the car for a full surface detail, and the water sheets off just as it does on the glasses in my dishwasher.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Brita uses a combination of activated carbon and ion exchange resin beads. So does Pur, whose parent company seems to have been bought by P&G as of Aug '99. No wonder the Mr Clean system says it uses Pur technology.

As for the aquarium water softener pillows - they come with recharging instructions. I've got other ion exchange filters (like nitrate removers) which recharge in salt water. The resin turns dark as it absorbs the offending substance, and lightens as it's recharged - the brine ends up turning brown as a result.

Reply to
y_p_w

I bought the Mr Clean system the day after I picked up my new Impreza, just out of curiosity.

I've found after 3 weeks and 2 washes that it works just as advertised, but am a bit concerned about replacements/refills.

Am anxiously awaiting results of your experiments guys :)

FWIW, after (admittedly only) a couple of weeks, I have yet to find anything I dislike about my new car - I love it.

Reply to
Chill

Have you guys ever heard of a chamois? :)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo