Muted turn signal?

My wife's 97 Outback. She says the turn signal clicker isn't as loud as it used to be. Is there an easy fix?

It still clicks, but very softly.

Thanks

Reply to
Joe J

First confirm that the turn signal flasher is mounted correctly. If it is, just replace the unit. OTOH, your wife might be losing her hearing.

Reply to
dsi1

Yeah, I was about to suggest that, check to make sure that the signal lights are actually flashing outside the car properly, both front and back. If it is, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Having the lights working won't solve the problem of his wife having trouble hearing that they're working. The audible signal is usually (in my experience) a better clue than the dashboard light that a turn signal is still going when it shouldn't be.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

There are turn signal reminders/alarms available for motorcycles. One of those might be useful. Example here:

or

Dean Hoffman

Probably true, but I remember that for a period of time, it was a fashion for certain GM cars to have completely silent turn signals. Of course that resulted in people leaving their turn signals on forever till they got to their destination (and probably still beyond that). But some people got used to it, and would check to make sure that the lights aren't flashing.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Patty,

Some turning signal flashers (what makes the lights blink) are designed to be quieter when the light bulbs are not working, as to alert the driver of such malfunction.

Good luck,

AS

Patty W> >

Reply to
AS

Interesting, all the flashers that I've had will flash nearly twice as fast when a bulb goes out.

Reply to
dsi1

That's been my experience also. It seems odd to have something go quieter when there's a malfunction. I'm used to thinking in terms of loud alarms or beepers if something is wrong.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I remember them doing that, but I don't think I've had a flasher go bad in 40 years or more.

Reply to
John Varela

mine might be silent, I wouldn't know...I've never driven w/out the radio on.

people who don't notice the lights are obviously not paying attention to the gages at all. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I wonder what would happen if both lamps in the circuit went out. I've never had both of them go out at the same time ever. If there's something wrong with the flashers, neither of the lights will blink. The can type flashers will typically be louder if they are securely mounted to the dash. That's pretty much all you need to know on the subject of flashers. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

They don't go bad very often, I can't remember if I've ever replaced one. They should make these things in extra loud types for old folks. Heck, they should come with timers that buzz if you've gone half a mile or so with them on.

Reply to
dsi1

There are some available for motorcycles. Examples here:

I don't think it would be a super tough task to adapt them to a car or pickup.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

that's what happen when you try to go upmarket without forking a separate brand.

the old (literally) faithful become wondering what's going on when things go subtler

how do I turn the flasher clickety clacket audio feedback off altogether?

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC