My Remote key works on neighbour's Outback - common problem?

My neighbour has exactly the same model as me: 2005 Outback - color white. We just found out my remote locks/unlocks hers and vice versa.

We got the cars at dealers in different towns.

Questions: How common is this situation? How easy is it to fix? Should one of our dealers fix it for free?

Reply to
teekaynospam

My garage door remote open my neighbor's door too ... LOL. That's an easy fix.

Don't know how common is it for the Outback but we have a Camry, hundreds more of those, its not uncommon to have four Camrys parked side-by-side with the same color in the mall, never open any ones Camry before or vice-versa. Have the dealer change the key code, your car is under warranty so you shouldn't pay for it.

Reply to
Fred

When in college, the key from my '47 Pontiac fit my friend's soupped up '55 Chevy. Were we amazed. It turned out that the key pattern would repeat every 10,000 times. And GM used the same locks for all their cars. So there were a lot op duplicates. I'm sure the same thing happens with current electronic locks. At least the cheap ones ;-)

Al

Reply to
Al

Same thing with me and my best friend's first cars. Both were '85 Fords and we delighted in pranking each other by moving the car, putting things inside it, or just turning the stereo all the way up for a good volume blast. Sadly, the key for my Outback does not work in his Impreza.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I think there is a way to reprogram your remote. Check in your owner's manual for info.

Reply to
BrianW

Reply to
maddog55