My Subary died and I need help to fix it

Hello all! I'm calling on your expertise to help me diagnose and fix my 95 Legacy Wagon. My brother is a mecanic without a garage, and not a Subaru expert, but if he can be pointed in the right direction, it would really help. The Story: I was driving home from an outcity trip. Stopped to pee, get back in the car, reverse from the parking spot, bet back in first gear, go about 2-3 feet forward, and the car just dies. This was not a stall. Engine was warm. Tried to restart, but not even a cough, nada. The starter is almost new. Had her towed home. (Thank goodness for CAA) Once we were home, we checked the gas pump (Had issues with that on my previous Subaru.) The gas makes it to the engine just fine. My brother pulled a spark plug and checked, no spark. He looked at the fuse boxes, and they are fine. He's wondering about a dead relay, and where it would be. I just hope it's not the timing belt! The car has over 300 thousand Ks on her, mostly hightway. I appreciate any help provided. Thank you!

Louise the ferretlady

Reply to
Louise the ferretlady

You say your brother is a mechanic, Eh? Is he real mechanic?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ust moved and had to leave my trusty regular mechanic across the country.

I was advised to add to my description that the engine for this car is a 2.2l with an ignition module.

Louise the ferretlady

Reply to
Louise the ferretlady

Louise the ferretlady

Reply to
Bob Noble

Had the same thing happen to a Chevy. Ignition coil quit. Did he check for a spark back to the coil???

Would like to get a few ferrets, till I can get more Afghan Hounds. They would probably make a Great team, entertaining, and making me crazy.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

The 95s just MIGHT have OBD II and a code reader may provide some clues. Do you get dash lights? Is the CEL lit? I would try to get a code or a 'blink' code. There are many possibilities, bad crank angle sensor, bad ECU, igniter, etc.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Use a multimeter to check the leads going to the ignition module. If there's power going there, but no spark, then you've got a faulty ignition module (coil is built into this). Did you check for spark properly? you need to put a hose clamp around the base of the spark plug and attach a wire between that and ground so that the plug will spark.

Reply to
Sam

The 95 had issues with the crankshaft position sensor. Go straight to that one and check it. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

AS

Louise the ferretlady wrote:

Reply to
AS

I take it you _don't_ have the check engine light on? You car _is_ OBDII compliant (I know, I have the exact same car) and will tell you what it thinks the problem is.

However, just last month I had my ignition coil go - but only one cylinder so I drove it to my neighbourhood mechanic (about 2km).

In my case, I got a misfire code from the computer, but they can fail all together and in that case I can't see you getting any code.

Dominic the beejock

Reply to
Dominic Richens