Need new tires: Michelin snow tires or Harmony?

I have a Legacy Sedan (1999). 195/60-R15 tires. Michelin's site rates the Harmony better as a snow tire than the Arctic Alpin or Pilot. Is this true? My local dealer (I'm in the mountains of western North Carolina) says quite a few people are buying the Alpins for year-round driving. I'm on a steep road, so when it snows, it's bad though we normally don't get too much snow.

My questions:

  1. Is the Alpin (Arctic or Pilot) driveable year-round?
  2. If so, what is the life span. (I should say that it will be MUCH lower here, we have a 1/2 mile hill and have to brake almost the whole way down.)
  3. Is the Harmony as good in snow or ice?

I know there is a replacement tire for the X-One, the Hydro Edge, but it looks too much like the Aquatred, and I've heard that requires a different style of driving.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Pegleg

Winter tires will be ruined during the hot summer days. Nobody will give you a mileage rating for a winter tire in summer conditions. Being just a little agressive will ruin them within a year. Your dealer will be happy to sell you another set every two years.

Four season tires may give decent winter driving during the first two years. If the pavement gets icy this is where the 4-season tires are in trouble. If the temperature gets to zero F or less, you're also in trouble with an all-season tire.

I have Harmonys on my Legacy. Although they are quiet and will probably last long, I would not buy those again as the steering is not as responsive as with my previous XH4s, they have that "balloon" feeling. I live in Montreal, and I use a separate set of wheels with winter tires.

The cheapest winter tire will perform much better in snow or ice than any four-season tire. If you have enough snow to make it hazardous during winter, you may want to consider buying a set of cheap steel wheels with cheap winter tires. During summer you wouldn't have to compromise in buying a tire that will not make your car fun to drive. It will be cheaper than a new set of winter tires every two years of so.

Reply to
Felix Crashalot

No. If it says it's that then it's a misprint.

True, the cheapest winter tire will perform better in winter than any all-season. Decision criteria for winter tires involves the following:

- deep snow vs. ice/packed snow vs. wet/slush traction

- treadlife

- road noise (don't underestimate this one - loud tires get annoying fast)

- cost

-construction and brand

The more money you pay, the better the traction/treadlife/road noise, but more importantly, the better the quality (this is a general statement, there are exceptions I'm sure). The way I see it, your life is in your hands when you drive, -especially- when you drive in winter. So get the best winter tires you can afford, and if you can't afford much, then pick one criteria that matters most to you, and get the best tire you can that excels at that criteria.

Reply to
DC

I love the sound of snow tires ..... whirrrrrrrr.

After all, I'm driving my car, not sitting down for a nap !

:^]

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

I agree 110%! I had Arctic Alpins on our 2000 OBS last winter, and they are the best winter tire I've ever had. In my opinion, better than studs. I have hit the brakes hard on ice, and not even triggered the ABS. I expect to get at least three more winters from them.

Our winter does not often bring deep snow, but we have slush and black ice frequently. I rolled and totalled my Toyota 4X4 pickup last year while going only 35 mph, when I hit a patch of black ice on a curve. All season tires! Luckily, I was unhurt (shoulder harness).

Buy the best you can afford. Your life is at stake.

John Moriarity Alturas, CA

Reply to
John Moriarity

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have had Artic Alpins the last three winters on my Outback. They are great except when there is lots of snow, not a bey agressive tread. They are really an ice tire. They also have soft sidewalls so are a bit soft for year round use, but I still like 'em. If I were to do it again I would get Nokia's.

Reply to
JDC