New Impreza

Take a look at the new next-generation Impreza

had some suspicions in the past, regarding the older bug-eyed Impreza, but now I am sure that there must be a traitor amongst Subaru designers or all the design team must have run out of fresh and inspired ideas. It can't be SO ugly !!!! Why Subaru ? Nick

Reply to
trik

Impreza

I had some suspicions in the past, regarding the older bug-eyed Impreza, but> now I am sure that there must be a traitor amongst Subaru designers or all> the design team must have run out of fresh and inspired ideas.>

I wish they did run out of the ideas and used the old sheet metal. It was exacly right nose and butt-wise.

It's no worse than the 1st generation impreza.

Reply to
Body Roll

This is from Auto-Express though - a UK car magazine. Our magazines over here in the UK can't get real photographs most of the time so they have artists draw up computer generated images loosely based on a vague description of a concept car given to them down the phone instead. The actual car is always completely different.

That in mind though, have you actually seen any of the old Imprezas? None of them are exactly prize-winners in the aesthetics department...

Fortunately in the world of automobiles (as with so many other things in life) "ugly" is a by-word for "aggressive".

Unfortunately, the first word that comes to mind on seeing that picture isn't "ugly" or "aggressive", it's "dopey".

Reply to
Phil

Impreza

I had some suspicions in the past, regarding the older bug-eyed Impreza, but> now I am sure that there must be a traitor amongst Subaru designers or all> the design team must have run out of fresh and inspired ideas.>

Well, I don't like the new look as much as the old one. That rear spoiler may cut down on visibility too.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

How do you work that one out ?

It's stupidly shaped on purpose so it doesn't interfere with rear visibility...

Reply to
Phil

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes: (snip)

It looks very much like the regular STI spoiler. I find that mine hardly cuts down on visibility at all: it's positioned so that its narrowest cross section is at the driver's eye-level. The only time it obscures anything for me is when I'm going uphill and there's a car some way away on a previous downhill section that's in exactly the wrong place. It has to be far off to be small enough, though, and a few seconds later we'll both have moved and it'll be visible again.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

It don't look ugly to me. I think the rear is quite nice.

Most Subaru people care less about looks and so do I. Honestly the car looks fine, what is more important I think is the mention about the new 2.5l engine. Is this a new powerplant for the STI alone, or a new 2.5 engine for all Subarus?

The article invokes the issue kinda in context of the STI:

"The top-spec STi is to feature a reworked version of the current 2.0-litre turbocharged flat-four. This offers 300bhp and 431Nm of torque. A new 2.5-litre motor is also under development, although it's likely to debut in the US before heading to the UK."

Anyone know anything more? The existing 2.5l has been a trouble maker of sorts from its inception.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

I think it's a huge improvement over the existing Impreza, which defines "ugly" to me. I had a 2002 WRX, and now have a 2005 Legacy GT. All of the changes I could want in the Impreza appear to be implemented here...cleaner lines (obviously, the spoiler is optional, and I won't want it), more power, better handling, a little more room, and an end to the frameless doors and the rattle that comes with them. Hopefully, they can help fuel economy a bit, too. I just hope the US model is available when the lease on my Legacy GT Wagon expires in November.

Reply to
wrx