New Legacy Owner Saying 'Hey'!

Hey!

Just bought a '99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary Edition as a first car for my 17-year-old son. We're picking the car up on Sunday. I suspect we'll have lots of questions, not having owned a Subaru before. Car has about

124k miles on it and has been well-cared for. Body and interior are mint.

One question off the bat - not sure whether the car has an owner's manual or not - anything special need to be done with the AWD system, maintenance-wise?

Oh, and any good Legacy-oriented websites I can send me son to?

Thx,

Dan D '99 Legacy L 30th Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Keep the tires the same size. Change front and rear diff fluids. That's about it, near as I can tell.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I think mysubaru.com or maybe it is just subaru.com has the owner's manuals online.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

Dano58, Watch for blown head gaskets. Bad brown goo in coolant tank.

Sparky

Dano58 wrote:

Reply to
Steve Parker

Tires need to be rotated regularly. I did one rotation at 12k miles and plan to do another one at 30k. The manual calls for 7.5k miles but if you think of it you should do it at 7.5k miles once you got your new tires and then subsequent rotations at 15k intervals (2nd at 22.5k that is) because at 15k miles the front and the rear should have about the same amount of wear. If you have the right tires you may not need a second rotation, but, rather, a new set of tires at 22.5k miles. In my experience Ecsta MX wears slower than Ecsta 712 though.

legacygt.org is tailored to LGT. Some info might be applicable if the car is due for brake/suspension upgrades anytime soon.

Reply to
isquat

Thanks for the info.... A couple more questions -

1) I assume this has the 2.2l SOHC engine....? There is some variance between various websites on this. Edmunds lists the 2.5l but MSN lists the 2.2l.

2) Assuming it's the 2.2l, I've seen where this is a non-interference engine (i.e., timing belt breaking won't bend valves, etc.). This true? (Although the timing belt HAS been changed on the car).

3) Is the AWD full-time, all-the-time, like my Audi's quattro system, or an 'on demand' system that only supplies power to the rear wheels when slippage in the fronts is detected?

Thx,

Dan D '99 Legacy L 30th (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

be sure to investigate

and

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

hi guy's. took delivery of a 1996 legacy GT (stage 2 Twin turbo boxer engine) from japan around the end of Dec. Unfortunitly it came without owner/operators hand book. Anyone out there got a copy of one they coud E-mail me. The dealer in my home town tells me they no longer have any in stock for model this old.

Reply to
Mike1964

Is it in running condition?

Reply to