New Noise Subaru Legacy '98 2.2L

Hi all,

Recently I have had my car stored in a covered carpark over Dec + Jan months in Australia. Had a friend who started up the engines over the

1st month only. When I started driving it, it felt like I had to depress the brakes pedal quite some way before the car starts to slow down/comes to a halt. The mechanic said it was due to gung/rust/debris on the brake disc and would get better on its own as I keep driving it. Today I discovered a new noise while I was driving. (Auto transmission) While on the roads, it suddenly became apparent as a loud noise accompanied acceleration. I don't know if it should be described as a grinding noise but when I filled up the petrol tank the noise seemed to become softer though did not disappear completely. The noise seemed to sound from the back and I thought it rattled the right side abit. More acceleration, more noise.

What's going on? Is this something I should be worried about? Or just because of the long period of storage this 11 yr old car is working up?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers, J

Check the heat shields on the exhaust system. They are notorious for breaking spot welds and making a "running fan blade hitting metal pot" sound at certain frequencies and power levels on the engine. So it might not be transimission at all.

Note, if you are feeling a deep powerful vibration, it probably is the transmission. But if it's a sound you hear coming from UNDER the car, rather than THROUGH the car it's an exhaust issue.

Reply to
.._..

Two months storage will have no affect (or is it effect?) on a car. Braking problem could be worn pads and/or low on fluid. Grinding noise in the rear is often a failing wheel bearing.

Reply to
johninky

Forgot to also mention a worn master brake cylinder.

Reply to
johninky

Thanks for your help .._.. and johninky!