New Subaru Liberty/Legacy Oil usage

Be warned before purchasing. Here are new threads on Subaru oil consumption/use in the new Liberty/Legacy -

The new MY06 Forester is to come out with this engine too! That means the Liberty Outback and Forester will all suffer! So much for re-sale too!

Reply to
industwatch

So many newly-designed engines in the last couple of years have had oil consumption problems.

Is there a common factor at work here?

Reply to
Marco

It seems to be. My guess is from super slick oils and very low friction oil control rings (include shoddy oil control rings as well) also the engine has not been run in properly as well as the usage of synthetic oils during the first 10,000 k's. Also glazed cylinder bore surface can cause high oil drinkage as well. God knows what car manufacturers are doing wrong.

Reply to
Dan---

In an attempt to reduce fuel consumption many ring set are of much lower tension , I suspect this provides a quick way to bad oil consumption which initially does give the manufacturer better figures but less stability if runin and maintenance is not perfect . All the motor I have rebuilt in the last few years had much higher tension rings and all sealed well.

Reply to
atec