New Subaru Outback -> how bad can the first service be! (longish)

Hi. My new 2004 model Subaru Outback was due for its first service. Without much hesitation I took it to my local Subaru dealer (Subaru Mentone). After all who would take a better care of my car than my local Subaru dealer! Well few hours later I went to pickup my car up after the service manager called me to say that it was ready. As the service manager drove the car out, I noticed on the front right hand guard two large scratches (5cm and 3 cm long). The scratches are fairly deep and obviously caused by someone working on the car from the side or someone's "don't care" attitude.

To say that I was upset would be an understatement. The first response I got was: "The scratches must have been there before!" (Absolute lie) But they looked so fresh that the service manager couldn't argue with me! Anyway, he tried cleaning them out with some cleaning agent, which did nothing. To his credit, he offered me to come back the next morning to have his detailer fix (if possible) the damage. So back I went only to be told that the detailer "called in sick". I wasn't going to take no for an answer. The "preferred" panel shop down the road got most of the scratches out. I was also offered a new paint job which I refused. I don't want my 2,000km old car to be stripped, repainted and most likely ill-assembled!

I know that accidents like that do happen. But what really bothers me is the "don't care attitude". I will never go to Subaru Mentone ever again, but where do I take my car for its next service? Can anyone recommend Subaru dealer in Melbourne that cares for their customer's vehicle?

Funny enough, this morning I had a follow up call from Subaru Australia, to see if I was happy with my first service. (routine call). Well I told them all that happened and got absolutely no response. The person on the phone also didn't care.....

This time I was not surprised!

Reply to
Vlad

Here in the US, when I bring in my Subaru for service, they walk all around the car and note every scratch, every dent, every ding that was there when I drove it in. They use a special form for this purpose with a diagram of the car on it. Then they make me sign off on it after we both agree.

No matter where you go next with your car, make sure they offer this service, and if they don't, insist on it, or they don't get your business.

Reply to
Debra Co

Where's that?

I'm in the US also, and have never had a dealer or any other repair shop do this. Perhaps that dealership has had some past problems?

I've seen the form, but only at rental agencies.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Well I am in Puerto Rico and our Subaru Dealer Trebol Motors always check the cars before taking them in and also have that form. That has been my experience with three OB 1999, 2000 and a 2005.

Reply to
<ros_ada

Thanks Debra, That's actually not a bad idea. Next time around, I will insist on checking the car's body condition by the service center manager

Reply to
Vlad

That really sucks. Unfortunately, I've also been treated poorly from Doncaster Subaru (although I never service my car there). A friend has also had a bad experience with Docklands Subaru. Ever since Subaru Oz dumped several Melbourne Dealerships to form one giant dealership organisation, there seems to be a certain level of arrogance and lack of customer service at these Melbourne Subaru dealerships.

But Subaru is not alone, my sister got her car serviced at a dealership last year, and the morons reversed the car into a brick wall, damaging the rear bumper. We returned straight back there, only to have the service manager accuse my sister of causing the damage. It was only after we complained to the dealership manager and manufacturer that the damage was repaired.

FWIW, I service my Sub at Makin & Luby in Heidelberg. They seem ok so far (and no damage to my car from service yet !).

Reply to
Losiho

Staten Island, NY. Manfredi Subaru.

Reply to
Debra Co

That sucks, I am buying a new liberty soon and Doncaster is right down the road from where I live. Should I go elsewhere (Glen Waverly perhaps?) For servicing, my uncle is a mechanic. I don't think I can trust Subaru for servicing unfortunately.

Reply to
Marky

I haven't heard anything good or bad about Glen Waverley. I guess it really depends on which salesperson you get.

The other servicing option is the dedicated Subaru service facility in Camberwell.

Reply to
Losiho

Reply to
Vlad

I bouth my Subaru from Doncaster and they did the best deal out of them all. However I will not go there for servicing.

Reply to
Vlad

But is Camberwell any good?

Reply to
Vlad

I'll go there on Saturday to buy (If I can decide what colour, silver....atlantic blue....silver...atlantic blue) I need therapy!

Reply to
Marky

No idea, sorry. I've spoken to the service manager on the phone, he sounds professional and courteous, but of course the person who answers the phone / prepares the bill won't be the one performing the service :)

Reply to
Losiho

The general manager and his sales people were just rude and expected me to sign on the bottom line right there and then without even thinking of bargaining. I didn't buy the car for that reason.

Reply to
Losiho

I have friends who have used Makin & Luby for their Outback and they swear by them. Personally I have taken my car ('04 Liberty Wagon) for it's first service to the Camberwell Service Centre and have nothing to complain about. So both possibilities.

Reply to
Scoop