New (to me) 2002 Beam Outback

After lurking here for a while and trying to lean a bit more about them, I traded for the 02 Beam Outback on a local used car lot yesterday. Seems clean both inside and under the hood. Have learned (from the Subaru web site) where it was originally sold/serviced...and have the former owner's name/address, so after the holidays, I'll try to find out about the maintenance history. According to the subaru site, there was a major service due at 45,000 miles...first question is whether that was done or not, and what else needs to be done to get it current. Since oil change sticker says 523, I'm guessing oil etc. was perhaps changed in May...so I'll be looking to do that soon (waiting on the fumoto valve to get here so I can install it at the same time).

I recall some discussion on perference for particular brands of filters, etc. What are the preferred ones that I can find in small town rural areas where the nearest dealer is over an hour away? (I guess that's really my main concern is to see if I can avoid having to spend too much time running it back and forth to the dealer and having to sit there while they work on it). Or is it easier to order such parts off the web? If so, sources?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Countryman

Conatct Jamie (subiegal) at

about a 3 or 6 pack of filters and maybe 1 new washer for the fumoto install. She works at a 'discount' dealership (and races!). Probably any decent filter is OK. Due to its mounting, I doubt it even needs an anti-drainback valve. Personally, I try to use either Purolator Pure 1 or the soob part(once I used the mobil 1 filter but $$$$). Try to determine if your car has the cabin air filter too. It's expensive but many folks have taken the stock frame and put in pieces cut from home A/C filters. there are instructions for changing it at
. Be sure to check the condition and wear of the tires. As you are aware, AWD vehicles need tires to be the same model and wear. Congratulations! hope you enjoy your new ride! You might find some 'moral support' from the appropriate geographic forum over at
. Those guys, as well as asking on
, may get you an independent mech. closer than the dealership that has soob experience. just a thought.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I use PureOne oil,air filters & fuel filters available at AutoZone or Advanced auto but, I can't remember which one. Subaru OEM is made by Purolator and says so on the filter box. If you want factory parts via mail go to

Edward Hayes

Where on the web site did you find that?

Any major brand is fine.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Ed, there may be quite a few left that are made by Purolator by I've heard that supplier got dumped recently by Subaru. I dunno who makes factory filters now. fyi Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl: I think the filter that got replaced were one oem number for the WRX? They were temporally replace by another Manufacture and are now Purolator again. Read this on one of the Suby NGs but, they could have been mistaken.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

LOL! Well, our stories overlap a little I guess. I probably read the same item and just interpreted it incorrectly. Still, I doubt the PureOne is bad choice as it did well in other tests (maybe linked from

or ?)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yes Carl: I did read that the suspect filter lots had a "ding" in the area of the shell crimp. I do use and have had great success using the PureOne and the white oem filters. In fact the oem filter box states "made by Purolator for Subaru" I do think the oem is a Purolator Premium and not the higher level PureOne. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes