newbe legacy repair history question

Looking at possibly buying my first subaru, and am looking at the legacy wagon L or GT in a 2000 to 2002. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of at what km major expenses seem to apear and the cost. The vehicles I'm looking at vary from 30 000km to 125 000km. The high milage one is good condition lease return, at a good price (17k CDN to start for a GT) so I'm tempted, but leary of the milage.

Any comments or links appreciated.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:35:44 GMT, "F. Plant" wrote in news:oeT2b.7018$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Since you may be in Ottawa, beware buying from a few used car dealers in the area who buy at Quebec auctions. The prices are quite good but the cars are in very poor shape requiring some major items.

If you're buying from the Subaru dealers here, they seem to have local cars in much better shape and probably maintained by the dealer selling the car. The price will reflect that.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

I'm looking in Ontario, and there does not seem to be much of a selection right now in Auto trader. There are a couple around Ottawa and about twice as many near Toronto. The Ottawa ones were I believe Global and Import Car Centre. For the quebec issue is it due to salt, or are they just on average harder on vehicles?

Would like the luxury of holding off for a while, but my current car is starting to go downhill fast, forcing me to move a bit quicker than I would like to so I can avoid doing repairs.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I have a 99 Legacy L with 85K miles on it. Unexpected expenses to date have been almost nil. New front brake pads at 40k, new tires at 50k, new battery at 3 years, regular oil and filter changes.

The car has now developed a squeal coming from the fan belt area and a small oil drip from the front crank seal. Since I'm approaching the dread 'change the timing belt' interval, I'm getting ready to change the fan belts, water pump, timing belt, front oil seal, and timing belt tensioner. It's also time to change the front brake pads again and also the plugs while I've got everything apart. About $600-$800 at a non-Subaru shop, but I'll probably do it myself.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:16:59 GMT, "F. Plant" wrote in news:OtW2b.2260$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

The problem is that quebec cars have to deal with much rougher roads traditionally, and the drivetrain can be shot.

I bought a car a long time ago that had had the wheels, struts, CV joints, and transmission replaced by me and the previous owner/dealer. The previous owner had the car a week before returning it to the used car dealer and getting a refund. I only know that because I sold it after a year and the same guy called about my ad. He was amused to discover it was the same car. Ironically the guy I sold the car to had no problems. I guess I must have caught them all. :)

Since Quebec cars have a lower blue/red book value already, the bottom cars are auctioned off and sold here in Ontario to the unsuspecting who think they're getting a great deal.

Have a very thorough inspection done and do a really comprehensive test drive. Avoid any car with too many problems, even if they seem minor. That's probably a good practice for buying any used car, but these auction cars likely have more problems than you'll find initially. If you're looking at the dealer on Merivale road, be very careful and do not let them do any repairs before you get the car. They are a big buyer at the auctions.

I've had two of them, since both times I had factored in the cost of some major repairs, and over the life of the car it wasn't really an issue. Sometimes it can be a less expensive way to a car you wouldn't otherwise buy. If you do your own work, it can be even cheaper, but time intensive.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

Personally I'd shy away from a high mileage car. It may be in good condition now, but you do plan on keeping it a few years I assume. Then it will have just that much more and be closer to major repair. If less than 60km the factory warrantee will still be in effect and you might be able to get an extended policy for a reasonable fee.

-- ~~~~~ Visit our NICKELL, GAUNCE, MOOTY genealogy Web Page

Don Nickell