NJ state inspection

I got a chuckle today at the NJ state inspection station. We need inspections every two years. As folks here said, my car is exempt from the emissions test, because of the way they administer it. They have a set up with rollers, where the drive axle of a two-wheel drive car rests. They run the drive wheels for a while to test the exhaust emissions. But they are not equipped for cars with more than one drive axle.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Here in California, we still have to do the idle and cruise rpm emissions tests, and a visual inspection, but not the dyno.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Don't be too happy. Soon they will plug into your OBD plug and your own car will rat on you. It will even tell them if you exceeded the speed limit; can a ticket follow soon?

Al

Reply to
Al

car will rat on you. It will even tell them if you exceeded the speed limit; can a ticket follow soon?

Reply to
jabario

NJ and NY already have OBDII inspection. They aren't looking at anything other than CEL status, stored codes, and readiness tests.

Reply to
mulder

No, because the computer won't show *where* the speed violation occurred, or who was driving. Gotta have jurisdiction over the person, place & offense, right?

Hopefully, Amanda will weigh in, with her opinion.

Reply to
CompUser

I see, the laws are written in stone and will never change....unless, of course, a new revenue stream is needed.

Al

Reply to
Al

I think the fear is rational. It hasn't happened much yet, but it has started. A car rental company in CT keeps track of its cars' speeds by GPS, and they fine you, before the police do, if you go too fast. And they tell you this in the fine print. This story came out about a year ago.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Not necessarily, In Massachusetts you can't renew your registration until all of your traffic tickets are paid. It doesn't matter who did the illegal parking, kiddie or wifie or hubbie. The owner of the car pays.

The traffic cams at red lights don't tell you who was the offending driving either. The owner of the car pays.

And as far as *where* is concerned, can't GPS tell where the vehicle was at the time the offense occured? Check out the post about rental cars.

Al

Reply to
Al

In article , snipped-for-privacy@wanted.com says..

Only if he/she chooses to not contest. Otherwise, the burden of proof to identify the offender remains with the state.

Some may not, but some do show the driver's face...same deal applies.

Discussion was reference OBDII, concerning vehicle ECU, not GPS. Yes, GPS does provide location information.

Reply to
CompUser

Not so in California. Your license can be denied by administrative action for outstanding tickets. No judge, no jury, no right to trial, just a computer running a match on your drivers license - vehicle registration.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

Read the above.

Admin action occurs only where not trial is held.

And, you're mixing apples & oranges.

Adminstrative suspension or revocation of driving

*priviledge* is entirely different from punishment for commission of an illegal act.

One requires a trial, the other does not.

Reply to
CompUser

What about "run what you brung" days at race tracks, you would be over most speed limits... And without breaking laws. Since they can't determine where you where when you were going that speed they have no evidence that a crime occured.

Reply to
Keapon Laffin

Unfortunately when it comes to traffic laws here, you have to prove you are innocent.

Al

Reply to
Al

Remind me not to move to NJ. ;-)