no brake lights subaru legacy 1992 turbo

as above..the fuses look fine as do the bulbs.. checked the wiring to see if mice chewed it but seem okay ?.. Could a relay be gone ?...I am new to these cars.. Cruis ealso was working on and off then quit so I assumed it was al linked also.. thanx for any info you guys here could give me

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Check the brake light switch behind the pedal.

Reply to
mulder

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Actually the switch is normally open, the contacts need to close for the brake lights to come on. You should see voltage on one side of the switch, and when it's closed you'll either see voltage on both sides or it will go to ground, depending on whether it's switched positive or switched ground.

Reply to
mulder

That's backwards. Pulling the plug off the switch breaks(opens) the circuit completely. Make a wire jumper or bend a paper clip and use that to *short* the two connectors in the plug. If the brake lights come on, your switch is bad.

I'm not going to say this *is* your problem (I'm not under your dashboard...), but probably 75% of dead brake lights are caused by bad brake switches.

Reply to
nobody >