no defrost

My subbie has been sitting all summer. It's a 87 & still going. No surprise there though. I prefer that car over my brand new 06 Chevy though in the snow. Problem is no defrost. There's heat & air flow, but nothing comes out of the vent by driver's door or the top vents for defrost. It had defrost before I let it set for the summer. Is there a sweet spot for little critters to live in there? I noticed some tuffs of fibers when I pulled the fuse panel. If so, how can I get it out, or should I just take it to my trusty mechanic?

Reply to
subarulover4ever

Repairing yourself, you could Remove lower dash plastic drivers side, peek at the left side of heaterbox as you run through controls for different openings, see if defrost valve is moving (if nothing moves its stuck). On my

87 the vents and top defrost are the top valve, they are actuated by vacuum.Where there is heat and ir flow, the valve may be stuck or line broke. its a black small hose on mine, may be the same for you.
Reply to
bgd

Hey, thanks for the fast reply & that solved the problem. It was stuck. Much appreciated. 200,000 miles & still going it doesn't surprise me that it has it's quirks. Even my husband born & raised in GM city Flint says the next car after we trade in the Chevy is a subaru hands down.

Reply to
subarulover4ever

The newer subarus aren't the same, but we say that about all cars now....

Glad it works again.

Reply to
bgd