No Rwd Subarus for Australia

THE HEAD OF SUBARU AUSTRALIA has said it would be =93unlikely=94 that the Subaru-branded version of Toyota=92s upcoming FT-86 budget RWD sports car (above) will ever come to Australia, citing the non-availability of an AWD variant as the car=92s biggest handicap.

I think this is a bad decision, driven by emotion, attachement to image, etc. To refuse a great product just because of lack of AWD has got to be a mistake.

Probably great news if you live outside of Australia as supply may be more plentiful. Lets hope anyway.

abjjkst

I think this is a bad decision, driven by emotion, attachement to image, etc. To refuse a great product just because of lack of AWD has got to be a mistake.

Speaking an ex-pat Aussie in Canada for 20 years, this is not a bad decision at all. Rather it shows that Subaru Aust knows the market.

Australians love their sporty cars, which is why about 70% of vehicles sold are manual transmissions. Selling a RWD "Subaru" would definitely diminish the vehicle's status. Likewise, if Toyota sold the RWD and Subaru the AWD (if it ever happens), the AWD would sell far better, and I'd guess that the RWD would hardly sell at all.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS