Noise from HVAC blower

Hi, My son's '95 Subaru Legacy (130K mi.) sedan has an intermittent cricket-like noise when the blower motor is running for heat or AC.

I'm assuming the blower needs to be replaced. Is this a huge job or something accessible enough for an arthritic 55 year old dad with reasonable mechanic skills to do.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

If it's anything like the '99, it's an easy enough job. It's been a while for me to recall all the details, but you remove the glove compartment door and some other stuff over there. I got it out and in with no help, IIRC. Maybe I saw the instrux on a website, I don't remember.

My fan sucked up a candy wrapper and sounded like a kid's bike with a baseball card on the spokes.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Thanks John. I need to break down and get the service manual.

Geez, remember how much trouble we went through to get that sound just right on our bikes? :-)

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

There MAY be some help for you at

. Look for a section on cabin air filter replacement. It will show how to access the HVAC area of a few recent model years. Even if your car is not eqipped - likely some steps/components will be similar.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks, will do.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Maybe turn the system on low to get the vents open, masking tape all the outlets but one, and hit the last vent with a leaf blower?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp