Noise: Tire Feathering?

I own a 2000 Impreza OBS. At about 45K km / 28K miles, I started getting a funny noise on the left side, towards the rear. It's sort of a "spinning" noise, which changes in pitch as I accelerate and decelerate from any given speed.

Took it in to the dealer today, and I was told that the problem is due to the tires "feathering". Ok... when I asked what the expected life is on these tires - they're factory-issue BF Goodrich - I was told 70 K km.

Does this make sense, that with one-third of their life left, the tires develop an annoying noise which the driver is supposed to put up for their remaining life?

I've done a bit of searching on this topic, and it seems that feathering can be due to the tires, the car, or poor maintenance (alignment, lack of rotation, maybe tire pressure?).

Anyone else had this problem?

Reply to
dn

Tire feathering and related noise is common. Do you rotate your tires at least every 7,500 miles or more? BFG tires in my opinion are not quiet or long wearing tires (let the flames begin). You also need to check wheel bearings for noise, which need to be checked with preferably an electronic listening device.

Reply to
Greg

thanks... Regarding the rotation... no, I haven't been very good about rotating my tires... the dealer rotated at 10k & 30k miles ( the points at which my mileage met the scheduled service). I asked the dealer to check the wheel bearings when I brought the car in ( I doubt they used a listening device), but their diagnosis was feathering.

Cheers, dave.

Reply to
dn

Reply to