noises

OK, I have a 2000 Forester with 174 K miles. I've replaced the two front CV joints and solved that rapping noise. Then I replaced the two front struts and mounts etc. That solved the other noises. But now there is still another noise that I hear when I turn into my apartment complex over the dips in the road. I had them check the motor/trans mounts. Could they have missed that? What else could it be? It just sounds like something is loose and shifting or flexing. TIA for any suggestions.

Reply to
Tim Conway

Exhaust system hangers allowing that mass to shift? Rear suspension? Everything else in the front suspension except for struts and mounts (such as bushings)? Steering components? Does the noise happen when turning either direction?

Reply to
John McGaw

It seems to be related more to the dips or bumps in the road. Maybe it is the suspension.

Reply to
Tim Conway

Check the gearbox rear mount/support bracket, it is a steel and rubber contraption, the rubber bit could be shot after 10 years.

OK, I have a 2000 Forester with 174 K miles. I've replaced the two front CV joints and solved that rapping noise. Then I replaced the two front struts and mounts etc. That solved the other noises. But now there is still another noise that I hear when I turn into my apartment complex over the dips in the road. I had them check the motor/trans mounts. Could they have missed that? What else could it be? It just sounds like something is loose and shifting or flexing. TIA for any suggestions.

Reply to
Illuminated

How are the ball joints? They tend to make a lot of noise under the conditions you describe when they're about done.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd add anti-sway bar and its links/bushings to the list of item to inspect.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks. The ball joints were just inspected with the other work done. Also put new sway bar links/bushings on with the struts/mounts. I'll check into the transmission mount and steering.

Reply to
Tim Conway

snipped-for-privacy@f21g2000vbg.googlegroups.com...

Hmmmm, while I wouldn't expect it to be loud, sometimes brake pads will make a little noise. If they are ill-fitting aftermarket or some spring/backing shims are messed up. probably only occur on brake application. Maybe only the first time for forward after backing up, OR first application backing up after going forward.

did that make sense?

Can the noise be duplicated by bouncing the front end up and down? If not, you may need to insist on taking your mech for a ride to your complex's entrance to duplicate the noise.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Sometimes a rear-suspension link/arm or sway bar/end link can hit the exhaust in the rear.

Dacve

Reply to
Dave__67