Non-linear gas gauge ? USA Forester

Same happnes for me in both cars. Still annoing after driving those for more then 3 years :-(.

2002 Legacy Outback 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS
Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

On a recent long trip, I noticed that there seems to be a non linear realtionship between the markings on the gas gauge. It seems that the needle drops faster once it goes below 1/2 way. Road conditions & driving speed and style remaining the same.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reply to
ZZ

Yes, both by Outback Sport and WRX do it. Also, IIRC, my Jeep and Sonoma did it too.

Its annoying as hell. I get about 200 or so highway miles from the first half tank and then the next half is about 120 miles.

Reply to
Ragnar

I think that's because the tank is also non-linear. It's got less space in the bottom than in the top, and so the last half is going to go a lot quicker. Add to that the fact that the older models (like my Outback) had slightly defective sending units for the fuel sensor, and you've got a gauge that can never be trusted. I've learned to live with it though, and so I just wait until I've gone almost 300 miles and then fill up again.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I have never seen a car with a linear gas gauge. They usually hang out near full for a while, drop rapidly in the mid-range, and then slow down near empty.

Reply to
Alan

Every car I have owned:

1978 Renault 12 1988 Ford Mustang 1989 Pontiac Sunbird 1991 Toyota 4Runner 2002 Honda Accord 2000 Subie OBW

Has suffered from the same affliction. First half of the tank is roughly two thirds of the tank.

I usually go 300 KM on first half and 200 on second half!

Joe

Reply to
steam_mill

My experience as well.

Reply to
John Rethorst

The needle drop fast on the last 1/4 on my Forester.

Reply to
Bart

I've noticed in my Outback and every other brand of car I've owned. It's magic!

Reply to
L. Kreh

Hi,

I have the same "problem" with my Forester. (and all my previous cars)

I found a good description of this magic phenomenom at

" regards, Wilco

"ZZ" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest