Non painted heavily rusting tailgate surfaces (97 Legacy Wagon)

There's a metal plate through which the door lock/ latch is attached to the lift gate, also the two license plate lights are attached to it. This bare metal, not visible from normal standing position, was apparently never painted and of course it heavily rusted. (Part of the reason for the stickiness of the rear locking mechanismWas this a defect in my car, or is that the way the car was designed? And do they still do that?

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

My 96 Legacy was the same way. I went to a salvage yard and got a new metal plate, new license plate light housings and a handle. Better than buying new. Most of the Legacys I have seen were the same way. Hope this helps.

Pete

Reply to
tabipapa