Normally Open relay... can it break closed?... kinda long

Please help if you can. 98 legacy L, Auto, 2.2l.

My "front and rear marker (parking) lights" are on when the car is turned off and keys are out of the ignition!

The light controller stalk has 3 positions... Off, parking lights position and full headlamp position. The parking lights stay on through all positons. I'd expect that in the parking and full position but not the off position. Of course they're on with the car off and keys removed.... argh. It's late and I pulled the fuse to turn off the lights...

Experimentation found that two fuses will turn off the parking lights. The main 20 amp headlamp fuse in the fuse box under the hood and the 10 amp tail light fuse in the main cabin fuse box. I've pulled the 10 amp interior fuse until I can figure this one out.

According to the Haynes manual the circuit goes like this... the "-" below is the separator between main items in the schematic.

Battery-20amp fuse-Tail/illumination relay-comination switch consisting of light switch (head, park, off), parking switch and turn signal switch-10amp fuse (number 5) - lights.

The Normally Open relay looks like it gets de-energized when the light switch is in the "off" position. "off" takes ground to the relay. Can the NO relay break closed? Or is it likely that ground isn't getting to the relay from the "off" position of the light switch?

If you have the haynes manual for a 98 legacy, the schematic is on pg12-32.

ANY help you might relay (ha ha) is appreciated.

Thanks,

Djay

Reply to
djay

Try rocker switch, top of steering column!

Regards H.

Reply to
Honey Honey

God bess you! Jesus I didn't even know that switch was there.

Thank you Honey Honey!

Reply to
djay

Djay, that advice you just got for free cost me $40. That's what they charged me for pointing out the rocker switch on the steering column. "Minimum charge," you know.

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

I've been receiving GREAT advice/info from this group for a long time. It's astounding that they charged you for that info!? I love the fact that the people in this NG are willing to share what they know.

Reply to
djay

And we all drive or have driven Soobs. What could be better! (-;

~B

Reply to
strchild

I think you should let the world know what dealership actually charged you for that info - so they could be avoided!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Kensington, MD -- "Carlos Auto Service" or something like that.

Reply to
Uncle Ben