Now I've done it - front seat removal

I was able to find a place to look at the service manual instructions for the front seat removal. Got the passenger side out with no problems. 3 back bolts for driver's seat came out ok as well as outside front one. Inside front one -- big problem. I believe that seated inside the hole is a nut.... that is "stuck" to the under body of the car but that's not supposed to be loose. Well, I believe we snapped it loose. Boltis still in tact just fine, but it's stuck in the nut which is now freely spinning... can't see anything under the car either to hold on to to get it out...

Any ideas???

Reply to
ismlv

Bummer. Yea, there's a "captive" nut under there; probably all bound up with the tranny/shifter/crossmember hardware somewhere. I've seen 'em strip, but never break loose, tho I suppose it's possible. You really only have two options, and one of 'em isn't very good. You _could_ use a sharp chisel or even a cutting torch to cut the head off of the bolt. Since you probably wish to keep your interior and sanity intact, you will have to get the car up on jackstands, find the nut, and hold it with a pair of vice grips while a subcontractor removes the bolt. Keep 'em on the payroll, 'cause you're gonna need them again when you put the seat back in. Is it possible that the bolt is stripped or broken? Try grabbing the head with your vice grips and simultaneously turning and pulling out to see if you can get something to happen. If the captive nut is stripped you can get a helicoil insert to fix it; if it's broken you might be able to drill it out once the seat is out of the way. Good luck!

ByeBye! S.