OBD reader for 95 Legacy

Cheers,

Just wondering if there is / could someone recommend an OBD scanner for my 95 legacy.

Don't know if my year Legacy is supported by any diagnostic reader/scanner.

Thanks much in advance. Steve

Reply to
datadr77

The one I use with both the '95 and '97 OBWs says it is made by Innova Electronics, just calls itself "Digital OBDII Code Reader". The manual also says in one place "#3100". It cost about $125 at one of the chain auto parts places a few years ago, is not fancy, but it does the job. It displays codes and can erase stored codes, i.e. reset the check engine light. Since I could use it for two cars it seemed a good idea, and the first time I used it I got my money's worth! Some manufacturers did not meed OBDII specs until 1996, but Suby did for

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson

Steve,

Greetings. I just got through trouble shooting my 95 legacy L using a ODB-II to RS232 converter and a old TRS-80 model 100 computer, believe it or not. The converter is from

for under $100.

I connected it to the computer and just used the computer as a dumb terminal to querry the ODB-II system on my car. No special software, although scantool.net does provide software for windoze (I'm a mac guy!) After about 15 minutes of "playing", I was able to decode the results and determine the codes were related to the pressure sensor (see my post Subaru pressure sensor).

I tested the pressure sensor with a voltmeter as directed by my Haynes manual, and sure enough, the pressure sensor is malfunctioning.

The 95 legacy seemed to support at least the basic ODB-II stuff...reading codes, reporting sensor data. I was able to read the temperature sensor, engine rpm, vehicle speed, etc. Just playing around after I accomplished reading the trouble codes.

Ok, so how about some pointers as to where I can get a pressure sensor? I got to believe that these things are way over priced. The dealer price is about $250 new. Even the used prices I've seen are too expensive.

I've hacked mine apart and done some research on the web, I think these are semiconductor pressure transducers that work using the peizoresitive effect. How much can they be worth? I doubt Subaru pays

250 bucks a pop!

...Good luck, Dave

Reply to
David Craig

Cheers Robert & David,

Thanks for the info:

I have just ordered from Autobarn the Digial Code reader... Now maybe I can start saving some money, by fixing problems myself. My 95 Legacy has just turned 300,000 miles. Best car I ever owned.

Reply to
datadr77