OBW 2k: Replace Radio and In-dash CD Changer

My in-dash 6 CD changer has died. The Subaru dealer has indicated $265 to send out for repair and 4-6 weeks to get the unit back. I am wondering what other options I have.

Has anyone replaced the Subaru head unit and in-dash CD changer with an aftermarket product? I have looked through the Crutchfield website a bit, but they don't show many/any in-dash CD changers and don't even indicate much that will fit in the Subaru. Other Subaru parts websites are selling the original CD changer for $440-470.

Also, since the in-dash cd was dealer installed, I don't have the original storage tray that was in that spot, so finding a unit that fits both slots would be important.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

I got a used Subaru 6-disc CD/cassette/AM/FM double-din unit off eBay for around $150. A lot of folks seem to pull them from their WRXs and sell them. It was an easy install in my 2001 OBW.

Reply to
Brian Wasson

Look on eBay to see if they have a used Subaru CD changer. Might be able to buy one cheaper than geting your repaired.

I replaced my in dash 6 disk changer in my WRX to a MP3 player from Kenwood. If your into MP3's then I would consider that option.

Reply to
Mark

What happened with the warranty coverage?

EP

Reply to
Eric Peper

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eric Peper) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Last week I dropped off the car the evening before the appointment and didn't pick it up again until after hours the night after. No calls were received from the dealer during the day and the work order only had a note that the unit needed to be sent out for repair at a cost of $265. I mentioned warranty when I made the appointment and again on the envelope when I dropped off the keys.

I finally spoke to someone at the dealer again this morning and it will be covered under warranty, but of course I now need to make an extra trip to the dealer to get this taken care of and be without the unit for 4-6 weeks.

I have contined to go to the dealer during the warranty period, but the warranty will end by next week and I don't think I'll be back after that.

Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Ebay does not currently have my unit, but there are a lot of the WRX units. The WRX units are one double height unit while mine is two single units stacked. I wonder if the WRX model would still fit my Outback. I wonder why so many WRX owners pull their stock unit.

Looks like mine will get repaired by warranty after a little more pushing the dealer.

Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

Two possibilities:

  1. Maybe WRX buyers are more likely to want to customize.
  2. The factory sound may not be very good. The factory sound in my Forester pales in comparison to the factory sound in my Maxima. I should start a new thread asking how to fix it--hopefully a simple inexpensive upgrade of the door speakers will work. I'm too cheap to do much more than that.
Reply to
David

Quite often with OEM stereos they don't actually repair *your* unit, but rather take yours in and supply you with a rebuilt one from the factory (or wherever). Ask if they can do that, and if so you won't be without a stereo.

On the other hand, the WRX double-din (double height) 6-disc CD/cassette/AM-FM is a really easy install in the OBW, and will fit perfectly, replacing your two separate single-height units.

In my OBW, I actually have the above-mentioned WRX unit, with a CB radio (with weatherband) mounted in the third space below it. Makes a nice little stack unit. Although the WRX unit certainly isn't as good sound-wise as aftermarket stereos, I liked the in-dash 6-disc capability, plus the ability to play audiobook cassettes from the library on long road trips.

Reply to
Brian Wasson

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Brian Wasson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Saw your message too late. The unit has already been removed and sent out. A bit of the problem is that there are still 6 CDs in the unit that I want back.

If it breaks again, probab;ly I will just go with a WRX unit off of e-bay.

Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

Dave: Hummm, My wife and I bought 2 new Subarus and my WRX had the 6 disk in dash CD/cassette radio. I took the unit out and placed it in her Forester without any problems (exact fit). I then installed a Kenwood MP3 player in my car and got an underseat subwoofer (cheap) on eBay.

If you car is still covered under the 3/36K, then it should be replaced/fixed for free. If the dealer give you any crap, call the subaru customer hot line and tell them your story. They should be able to get this resolved.

Reply to
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I am just under 60k miles in 3.5 years, but I have the extended warranty to

60k miles. It did take a call to Subaru to get this covered under the extended warranty.

I have never bought an extended warranty for anything, nor wanted one, but at the time of this purchase, the gimmick was to buy the extended plan and get a lower interest rate. My payments were actually less after adding the extended warranty.

Reply to
David Patnaude