odb II reader options?

The other day; while at a car wash; the car started running really rough (idle down to about 250-400rpm) and then the check engine light came on.

so I started looking for inexpensive odb II readers...

there's a few options out there for reading these...

This is cheap. seems ok.

This one seems cool becuase we can just leave it plugged in as it's not too big.
This one seems easier as you don't need a pc.
I would like one that we can alter parameters if needed (I know the one from SnapOn can do that - alter fuel mixtures, etc -- but that's over $500)

Anyone have any insight/advise?

Thanks

-josh

Reply to
Josh Assing

Heard from my friends on east coast saying that autozone can read the error code for free. I don't know if this if true since there's no autozone within 30mins' drive from my place, but it worth a try even with the high gas price these days.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Li

It's true (Autozone pulling codes for free)! Was at one last week, looking for replacement low beam bulbs...an older Outback pulled in next to me. We chatted for a bit, he was experiencing some driveability problems...I told him, "Let's get em to pull your codes!!" Away we went--they found misfire in cylinder X, he got new wires, slapped em on, and drove it...problem solved! Good stuff.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

Reply to
null

If the device can get the error code, it will get all the other data like rpm, speed, etc. Just different command other than getting / erasing the error code. The error log is a functionality of the ECU, and there's a command to read it.

Reply to
Sam Li

Reply to
Josh Assing

I bought this unit a few months ago:

It works as-described on my 99 Outback and paid for itself the first time I used it.

Having to use a laptop with it is a hassle, but it does give a great deal more information than a simple code reader.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
popeye

Reply to
null

Hi, I am using it with Digimoto on my Thinkpad. Very useful. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang