Offroad tyres?

Anyone got any suggestions for Outback tyres for that are best for gravel and bush tracks (with projecting tree roots and bedrock outcrops), or other offroad conditions (e.g. sand, snow, mud)? Car came with Yoko Geolander GO40s standard, however I had several tyres get pinched side-walls which bulged.

Size: 215/60 R 16. What decent tyres can I get using this size?

TIA, Marsh.

Reply to
Marshall Wilkinson

I am using Goodyear G26 Cargo tyres for my forester gt in 215/60 R 16.

really tough stuff. designed primarily for falcon 1 tonne utes.

cheap at under $170 each and haven't punctured one yet. My original Geolandar tyres fell apart on me numerous times but somehow survived to 65K. hoping to get 100k out of these.

be aware that the ride goes harsh as the sidewalls are really solid.

snipped-for-privacy@techwarehouse.com.au

Reply to
.

Hi Marsh!

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:45:31 +1000, "Marshall Wilkinson" wrote:

I have abused the Michelin Alpin Pilots on my WRX pretty hard without problems. They work great on snow/ice, hook up well on dirt/gravel/rock, and surprisingly, grip well on asphalt too. I have also tried a set of the Arctic Alpins; they are significantly better for ice (I used 'em for ice rally-cross), and pretty similar on dirt/asphalt. Can't comment on durability, as I haven't had the opportunity to thrash them properly in the rocks :-) Another good choice would be the Hakkapelitta "1"s; I've abused the hell outta these on older Subarus with absolutely no problems. A dedicated gravel rally tire such as the Kumho R-700, or one of the Michelin offerings would be the absolute best, but you'd have to find a set of 15 inch wheels to fit your car, and would sacrifice anything like nice manners on asphalt. Run a taller side-wall, 65s or 70s, and narrower tread; 185-195 than would be optimum for street use. A larger diameter tire might prove helpful as well, as you gain some clearance underneath. Visit TireRack for lotsa data to help with comparison shopping. FWIW, mud is difficult; about the only thing that even approaches "working well" are deep open lugs, and these tires are miserable on pavement. Most any tire that is acceptable on pavement will clog up with mud and become a "slick" in very short order. I can assure you that the Michelin tires do _not_ work well in mud; the Hakkis will be a bit better. Sand is in somewhat the same category, but highly variable depending on the kind of sand, moisture content, time of day, phase of the moon, etc. Unless you enjoy being up to your axles in abrasive grit, let some other sucker try the waters first, or at least walk out on it before trying to drive over it. If you are driving aggressively on dirt, you will probably want to disable the ABS system (pull the fuse or install a switch), as (at least on the ABS equipped Soobies I have driven; my WRX wagon, and m'ladys Forester) it doesn't respond well to bumps and washboards, and will leave you with much reduced brake action right when you need it the most. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.