Oil Filter on a 2005 Forester

We are doing our first "at home" oil change, can anyone tell us the best way to get to the oil filter or it's location?

Reply to
jeepy2u

I know it is above a plastic hatch at the front that has Oil Filter embossed on it. I saw that when it was on the rack at the shop.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

Assume it is like my '03 and under the brush shield under the engine. There is a little port there with 5-6 plastic clips that open with a phillips screw drive. Make sure to use a new crushable washer on the oil plug.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Thank you for the info, I'll let you know if it's the same as your 03.

Reply to
jeepy2u

There is an access panel in the plastic shield under the front end (an embossed label says something like "oil filter access"). Use a phillips scewdriver to remove 8 plastic clips and then the access cover rotates to the side to show the filter and drain plug. A cap style oil filter wrench on an extension bar for a socket wrench works well. There is not enough room for a strap style filter wrench.

Reply to
Steve

Al Fox

Get a replacement from Fram. They work just as good as the VERY OVERPRICED Subaru "OEM" model which is a cheap Purolator filter. see:

(example)

FRAM 2005 V6 Forrester:

ExtraGuard PH3593A ToughGuard TG3593A DoubleGuard DG3593A X2 XG3593A

As for the oil drain plug get yourself a COPPER WASHER from OIL-TITE. It is their part # 65277 (M20) and it fits almost every Subaru model having a 20mm oil plug. I have used these copper washers and never had one drip of oil on the driveway. Best of all a package of two cost me only $1.29 at my local Napa Auto parts store, and you can even use the same oil ring a second time by simply turning it around (flip it 180°) and the other side of the soft copper will kiss up to the oil pan with a snug seal! (Oil-Tite M20 Copper is in a black pegboard package that's a little bigger than a business card. )

If you want to DIY one, just get a piece of 1/4" copper flat sheet and punch out an ID ring using a 20mm circular punch and an OD using a

25mm circular punch. You then have a ring with an ID of 20mm and an OD (wall) of 25mm (OD can be bigger up to 30mm) Just use the soft copper and don't over-tighten it. Just snug it up and you'll be OK.

Been doing this here with DIY copper rings on the oil pan for 2 years as drain plug gaskets with no problems. :)

.
Reply to
Paul B

Thank you for that very timely information. Have you ever used AMSOIL oil and filters?

Reply to
jeepy2u

Fram's enjoy a less-than-spectacular rep these days...not only from the guy that cut open a bunch of filters for a webpage write-up, and found discernable pieces of *cereal box* in the filter media of one Fram filter, but from just about every where else you go, too. Spend some tim on Bob Is The Oil Guy's site.

Purolator's continue to have a good rep, along with (believe it or not) WalMart filters--made by Champion Labs.

So, avoid Fram, go with just about anyone else seems to be the consensus on oil filters.

Reply to
CompUser

Hmm... my '03 Forester X has a 17mm drain plug. The drain plug was painted shut and took a lot of torque to remove. Make sure you have a big wrench for the first time.

You can get Subaru washers (part number 11126AA000 for '03) from various online sources. I ordered 30 from SubaruParts.com for 53 cents each. That will be enough for many years.

Last bit of advice: Do not get drawn into a Fram vs Purolator vs Subaru OEM debate. You'll learn more about oil filters than you want to know.

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang