oil on spark plug boots is gone!

Howdy folks.

Back in May I decided to change my own spark plugs and found oil on the spark plug boots. After much discussion, I decided that my valve cover gasket was probably the culprit, but since nobody seemed panicky about it I decided to let it ride for a while and see if the engine performance suffered. I was thinking maybe I could get to my timing belt change and get it done then.

That was about 20,000 kms ago.

Tonight I decided to pull out the spark plug boots again just to have a look and I found them to be bone dry.

The only other thing that I can think of to relate to this is that about the same time that I changed the spark plugs I started getting hesitation problems upon starting out in the mornings. This problem gradually disappeared, particularly after the dealership greased the wire connections, but I can't help but wonder if the two are related. My hesitation problems are all but gone, and the oil on the spark plug boots is also gone. Hmmm.

I say almost gone because I still sense a bit of power surging at times, and it appears to be always just after a fill-up. I find this very illogical. Maybe the fuel pump can't handle a full tank of gas?

Anyway, I feel better knowing things appear to be back to normal, but it doesn't explain what I found!

Cheers, Chicobiker

2003 OBS 125,000kms (80k miles)
Reply to
Chicobiker

Since the Outback and Outback Sport models are designed to go into the wilderness where a mechanical breakdown can leave you stranded, Subaru introduced a self regeneration feature on these models. This allows the car to literally repair itself over time.

... yeah... I wish :-D

On a serious note, a similar thing happened on my Moms Corolla. It was burning oil pretty bad, smoking and fouling spark plugs. After an oil change and a bottle of injector/fuel system cleaner the problem completely disappeared. I think that maybe a piston ring got unseated somehow or something... or was sticking... hell I have no idea.

--Dmitriy

Chicobiker wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Did you by any chance consider that maybe in changing the oil some was spilled onto the plug area?

Reply to
Ragnar