oil pan replacement help

We have a major dent in the '98 Outback limited that we just bought. It has the 2.5L engine, of course.

Can I replace this pan without pulling the engine ? Anybody have any tips ?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken

First question would be, does the pan really need replacing?

Is the dent in the front, or on the bottom?

If in the bottom, how deep?

BTW, I'm fairly sure you can pull the pan without pulling the engine. You may want to make a work-party out of it and do the timing belts and water pump whilke you have the front of the engine exposed.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Don't know that I'd mess with it unless it was leaking badly, or so severe that it was interfering with the pick-up tube (oil light flickering?).

You will need to un-do both motor mounts, the engine "snubber", and the exhaust, and lift the engine as far as possible to get the oil pan loose. It's tough to do a good job while lying on your back, and typically everything in that vicinity is pretty dirty. You may determine that it is worth the extra effort to go ahead and pull the engine (really a pretty straight-forward task). In this event, service the timing belt, idlers, water pump, and oil pump while you have it out; it's way easier.

If you have an AT equipped car, and decide to remove the engine, you will want to take special precautions with the torque converter. Email me if you get to this point, and I'll tell you all about it.

ByeBye! S.