Older Mini-SUV owners opinions wanted

Hello, I'm researching small SUV's as a replacement for my wife's car. We'll be looking at 98 through 2002 model years. RAV4, CRV, Forester, Grand Vitara. It will be an automatic transmission model.

When I do a search for reliability, what turns up are threads dealing with new cars in their respective years. I'd like to hear from people who've had theirs for some time.

How do they hold up? Can a well maintained vehicle make 130,000 (or more) miles without a major re-build? Do the bodies retain integrity or become leaky squeaky boxes?

Basically, after 3 or 4 years--do you still like it and how is it holding up?

Thanks for any input

Peter

Reply to
Peter Crowl

Tony Hwang

Any brand sold today can easily go to 130,000, or more, without a major re-build, when properly maintained. I would suggest you drive and price all those available in your area, that suit you needs and budget, then decide which is best for you. All manufactures make some that are not up to their build standards so you will hear complaints about them all. The experience of others with their NEW vehicles would have very little to do with the condition of the USED vehicles available to you in any event.

Peter Crowl wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo
3 out of 4 isn't bad......The Suzuki I'd be hesitant to look at, but the others are all great vehicles in their own right....The Forrester is the most car-like of the group. I'd say it comes more to finding the right car at the right price in making your selection.

Reply to
Larry

The others here have given some good advice. Our two 99 Foresters have

74 and 83K miles on them. Both run well, burn no oil between changes, are tight and sound structurally, look good in terms of paint, etc, and still ride about like new. My wife's does have a noisier engine than mine (the piston slap/belt tensioner that some here write about), but hers also seems peppier than mine (only means the tranny/engine communication setup is slightly different, IMO, and possibly due to the "fuzzy logic" these cars use in this area). We've had minor issues, but probably will buy Foresters again. Very much like the AWD system, lower profile of the vehicles, and the great handling. Great cars if they fit your needs.
Reply to
D H

Rattles are highly dependent on the model, as well as how it is cared for.

130k? That's barely broken in for a properly maintained Toyota/Nissan/Honda.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

if the car is well maintained 130k miles isn't an issue. my '89 toyota 4runner has 228K very hard abused miles and runs absolutely great, i've never had any problems with it. i haven't owned/driven any of the models you are looking at, but i have dealt with other models from the same companies. i'd order the companies by quality from best to worst like this:

toyota honda subaru suzuki

of course others may disagree, this is just from my experiences.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

Thanks for all the replies! I gather from them that a nice example that's done some miles is not to be overlooked. I guess my bad experiences with an

86 4Runner Turbo (back when new) and more recently a 96 GM Minivan have clouded my vision :~)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Crowl