OMG I hope I didn't get scamed for 14 k

Here the scoop. I bought a car from out of state. I told dealer that I will pick it up in 20 days. So he faxed me a Invoice stating he is selling this car to me for 23k and included the VIN number, also faxing me a void title that was registered to an insurance company (it was a salvaged vehicle-had car inspected by mechanic so no worries in that department)

I assumed this is valid document cause it has company info and properly written. In order not to loose the car I decided to wire-transfer 14k to the dealers account and the rest was planning on paying him when I pick it up.

Now I'm really worried cause it has been 1 day and so far he did't fax me any receipt for the 14 k payment. Maybe he didn't get a chance yet but I am freaking out.

I made sure that on the wire-transer a memo was added that described the car, vin and purchaser.

From my thinking if this was a legit dealer account (which it sounded

like) my money could always be recovered.

I did not sign any papers so am I just plain freaking out or could I possibly be scammed ?

Reply to
r735w

Why in all god's creation would you spend $23,000 for a salvaged titled vehicle!!!! The dealer won't scam you with the payment you made, cause he just scammed you legitimately with your purchase. A salvaged vehicle, if you could even book a value on it, is only worth about 60% of trade-in value, if that.

Reply to
Larry

By now, I am sure that you wouldn't handle this transaction the same way again. I don't like the idea of wire transferring money to someone unknown, even if it is a "Dealer." Whose idea was that? Suggest you telephone the Dealer pronto to find out what is going on.

Reply to
fish6525

You can probably still back out of the deal since you haven't actually signed anything yet or obtained the vehicle.

The amount of money you paid for a salvage title is insane. It's probably worth 2,000, not 23. I really hope you'll talk to your bank, discuss this with the dealer and use what leverage you have to protect yourself.

snipped-for-privacy@unb.ca wrote:

Reply to
tergen

Why are you paying 23K for a salvaged vehicle when a new one can be had cheaper?

Reply to
Ragnar

We don't know what brand is the car.

M.J.