one 1M miles car - can any subie beat that

Hi,

found on the other newsgroup:

anybody knows what is the Subaru record?

Reply to
alf

Hi,

I don't know what the "record" is but I've seen at least one report of a Subie being used for rural mail delivery that had over 600k and was still working every day.

I believe the Guinness book records for a gasoline-engined car still go to a '66 Volvo back in NY w/ about 1.6mil last time I read about it (still going) and a Honda (early '90s Accord, IIRC) that was traded in at 1.2mil. Sounds like this fellow's Saab is breathing down at least one neck?

You might Google "high mileage Subaru"--there used to be a guy collecting Subie numbers. Don't know if he's still doing it...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Check out this site

stumpy

I hope a subaru beats it.Officially. There are engine designs I can't even believe going as far as a documented world record.. Inlines of any kind have been a tragedy to me. The records are documented however. They must be in a perfect environment. An inline four is a wild stab with balance, air being one of them. A locale that "likes" thier ridiculous engineering no doubt goes a long way. By reality and an "anyplace , anytime" mentality a balanced four (boxer) should be the prevailing champion all over the world: "anywhere, anytime".

Reply to
bgd

It is in my airplane.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I'm not impressed by Swedish engineering. My son's Volvo has the oil pan at the rear of the motor and the filter on the side of the block, directly below the exhaust manifold and above the axle, where it drips when removed. Just changing the oil is a PITA. On my Outback, I can reach everything I need without raising the car at all. The wiring harness routing causes kinks and fatigue breakage of tail light wiring, and the plastic odometer gear is famous for breaking off teeth. There are a lot of Volvo 240s with working speedos and broken odometers.

The old Volvo/Peugeot 6 cylinder had more problems than I could describe, but was especially renowned for head and block cracking.

Of course, accessible spark plugs are a small compensation, but we do 20 oil changes for every plug replacement.

Reply to
BobN

'66 Volvo back in NY w/ about 1.6mil last time I read about it

I stand corrected on this gentleman's mileage: he's now got at least 2.5 MIL miles!

And here's a Subie w/ 1.2 MIL claimed:
Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hi,

I don't know what you've got against inlines. What's "tragic" to one man may be "magic" to another. Wind up an Offy or some of Honda's racing engines and tell me again an inline 4's a tragedy!

I'll agree an inline 4 isn't the best balanced of all engine designs, but there are zillions of 'em out there, often w/ LOTS of miles. That tells me something (like inherent balance isn't the greatest measure of longevity?) Of course, balance doesn't hurt: there's a reason so many big commercial diesels are inline 6s! (And many come w/ warranties in the neighborhood of 600k miles...) Methinks your problems may go deeper than engine design.

Should we condemn boxers because so few manufacturers have figured out how to keep them from leaking a variety of fluids (INCLUDING Subie?) Nothing's perfect...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Same here. I sold a '82 Toyota pickup with the 22R (2.4L) four with over

250,000 miles that never had the head pulled or the crank dropped. As for balance, you are definitely correct on that one. It would loosen alternator bolts. It would shake the screws out that hold the solenoid onto the starter. It even shook a spark plug loose that scared the holy living crap out of me when it blew out of the head.
Reply to
nobody >