Opinions on 2006 WRX colors

Hey All,

New to this group so if this has been addressed, please forgive. I'm getting close to purchasing my first WRX, and I've narrowed it down to

2 color choices. (World Rally Blue and Aspen White). I've seen both colors in the STI, but not many side by side pics for the WRX (non STI). For those of you who own WRXs out there, here's my question.

For the WR Blue models, is the blue light enough to hide scratches well? How easily does dirt show up?

For the Aspen White models, same question....how obvious are scratches? Since its such a bright white, does dust show up or does the paint hide it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Cheers.

Reply to
SleeperWRX

There's an entire 'white' thread at

I have a strong liking for black - artistically, but for me, it just wasn't practical. I've seen some beutiful blue cars too. But I got white and have no regrets so far. even put white wheels on it. It may make a difference if your car stays outside a lot (mine does) what kind of weather conditions you have, how long you keep the car (I felt I would tire of the blue after a few years, plus the white MAY be easier to match paint if damage occurs). I felt silver or gray would be kinda boring - I dunno. here's my car;
Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Wow, that looks awesome! The white wheels and tint job really pull the color through. Have you had any experience with scratches yet? I've got a dark blue Civic right now and that's a huge sticking point with me. I'm really hoping the next car will hide them better.

Reply to
SleeperWRX

I dunno what color the primer/basecoat whatever is. sure hope I never find out! Subaru paint of recent vintage has a reputation for being substandard - though I suspect ALL newers cars are struggling somehwat with this issue. I've read it is due to some global environmental reduction of VOCs that have forced many changes to some industrial processes related to cars. Changes to tire construction and paint. Seems it will be the same price but poorer or we will have to pay more as newer tecnologies are adopted. I dunno. It isn't visible in the photos, but I also have a 'clear bra' applied to help reduce paint chipping over time to the fron of the hood and rear of the mirrors. had it applied when the tint was installed. very expensive, but tint is practically mandatory here so I spent a little xtra for Huper optik. added benefit of no interference with the in glass radio antenna too.

The white wheels I realize are a 'taste' thing and - well - kinda 'retro' I guess. Not appealing to a lot of people. I somehow think they wouldn't look as good on a sedan. I dunno. I was also considering the Kosei double racers in anthracite. But I'm happy. saved 3.5 lbs per corner in rotating unsprung mass too!

I do have a door ding that the paintless dent repair guy said would come out for $75 . haven't done it yet. No scratches though.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I certainly like them.

Nice car!

Reply to
Bonehenge

As do I!!! :)

Reply to
KLS

Thanx folks. I certainly wanted a spoke 'style' that didn't hide the red calipers much - so that also played into the decision. And Tirerack had the whites priced less than the other colors (probably because they are less popular?) so it was an easy decision for me. One dowside though, I think SSR is now defunct, or maybe bought out. Hope I don't have a warranty issue. The stock brake dust is easy to remove too. I may try Mintex or other slightly more agressive pad in the future but hope I don't get more brake dust - or a weird color of dust!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The only thing I'd have a rough time with is keeping the wheels clean. I have an STi, and keeping the silver wheels clean is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do for a car. About 20-30 minutes of careful scrubbing with a plastic pot scrubber at the carwash just to get the most visible stuff--let alone the gunk that accumulates in the unreachable spots in the interior and throws my wheel balance off. It makes me want to buy those nice, organic-looking, rounded-edges S203 wheels, just so I don't have to put so much effort into cleaning them!

The last time I tried to use a reputable brake dust remover it worked great--but then *every single goddamned time* I cleaned it by hand without the compound in the future it was even harder than before I used the dust remover.

Also, every *slightest* bit of that compound that I missed washing off, even the tiniest speck, ended up as almost impossible-to-clean cement-like black dots on my paint job around and behind the wheels. Careful, patient scrubbing, over and over, taking care not to scratch the paint.. argh! Maddening!

That was the first and *last* time I have ever, and will ever, use brake dust remover. I curse the inventor of that crap.

I've gone through the wash about 20-30 times since then and I've gotten back to the point where scrubbing it normally and washing with carwash soap and water works properly again without too much elbow grease (20 minutes now instead of 45-60.)

I saw your white wheels, and all I can think of is a local MR2 that has white wheels. I know he washes that thing religiously, but the wheels are older now and just look dirty no matter what he does.

Yours look fantastic, BTW. I hope you don't have to go through half of what we do. :)

Reply to
k. ote

I like the blue (though I have silver). It's a very nice pearly color.

IMO the Subaru color choices are crappy. It took a while to choose the color for my STi, they were all so blah. Black (which you need a portable car wash to keep looking good), silver, gray and white (the three blandest colors going, missing only light brown) and an OK blue (in desperate need of some subtle graphics). My red Forester looks like an old barn. Just about any other manufacturer has better choices.

I'd still buy the Subie again (the cars are GREAT), but I'd like to have $1000 left over to repaint it before delivery!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

On 2006-02-16, Philip Procter penned:

In 2004, I asked the dealership folks what was up with the LEGO color theme for the WRX.

Reply to
Monique Y. Mudama

This is the part where you finish your statement and tell us what they told you. :-)

Reply to
k. ote

Unfortunately, it doesn't make a terribly interesting story.

They told me that I wasn't the first person to make that comment, and that I should fill out a feedback form about it.

Actually, if I recall correctly, they also said that people complained back when the colors were more in line with the other Subaru colors, too. I guess you can't please all the people all the time.

Reply to
Monique Y. Mudama