Opinions on Subaru Tribeca?

No, higher rollover compared to the Sedan it really is. And that is higher, not high, if you understand the difference. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Not a lot of luggage room for the price Needs premium fuel Fancy interior seats not practical for people who carry squirming cargo-kids, dogs, etc. Looks like a knock off of a Nissan Murano that came out ugly You have quite a few options at $32K+. If you don't need 7 seats, you really have a lot of choices. It's late to market

Reply to
Jakey

I'm not familiar with the official definition of "SUV". Can you please point me to a site that has this official definition? I think that you might need to cool down and not take things so seriously. What can be so bad about things that it 'makes our blood boil'?

Don D.

Don

SUV= sport utility vehicule. Why the Tribecca is not a SUV? "nothermark" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Johnny

Why is this the case? What differs about its design that requires it?

What other choices will drive in snow as well or better?

Reply to
Richard Kaplan

Reply to
bigjim

Reply to
bigjim

almost anything - big empty boxes get blown around more than smaller empty one's that weigh about the same. yeah, that's not snow but often comes with it. The wind starts the slide, awd won't do that much on really slippery going but the ditch will stop you. There is an advantage to 4 wheel though, you get stuck better. front drive does as well as awd in most snow driving conditions with a semi competent driver. And yes, I drive all day in upstate NY so I have seen a bit so snow. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Richard Kaplan scribbled:

VW Touareg.

Reply to
MK IV

As I said to Don, won't tow a significant load, won't haul a significant load, not a utility vehicle. Won't haul serious toys for the folks who rely on a vehicle to haul toys. If you want to take two bicycles and backpacks you are fine. Ditto ski's. Forget 4 adults or a family with semi adult kids and a weeks worth of camping gear and toys.

Reply to
nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

Go back afew years to the big ford bronco. Could carry 4 people and gear, tow a significant load and handle off road conditions. The toyota landcruiser is another fine example. Compare these to what are called SUV's today- RAV4, CRV, Tribeca, bmw x etc. None can tow a great deal, or handle off road situations.

Reply to
bigjim

I would guess that you can call 'anything' an SUV if you want. I had a Toyota Matrix for a short time and while it sure doesn't even attempt to be an SUV, if Toyota wanted to, they could call it a mini SUV. Everything is relative, and like you and I said before, if I like it, its OK. Have fun :).

Don D.

Don

Try reading through some of the dozens of professional reviews I have collected at:

Also, one the most active Subaru Tribeca forums is the Edmunds one at:
You will find tons of straight-forward info on both of these sites, and you will have more than enough info to formulate your own opinion. Also, if you test drive one, you likely won't want to give it back :-)

-Karen in AZ-

Reply to
abc

That is fine because I suspect a great majority of such capable full-size SUVs are never driven off-road. Most "SUV" owners like them because they have lots of passenger/cargo seating and by simple virtue of their weight they afford the occupants less chance of injury in a multi-vehicle collision. And in the case of Subaru, they are reported to handle great in snow.

Reply to
Richard Kaplan

Note, however that Subaru was "the most reliable manufacturer" according to Consumers Reports both 2004 and 2005. Try that with a Merccedes, BMW, Ford, Chrysler or what have you. Subaru's AWD system is recognized as one of the most sophisticated available.

Why is it that so many seem to think that if their vehicle isn't enormous and so over capacity so as to take on anything imaginable that it just won't do. This seems to be a typically American point of view. Listen to conversations with americans and most of the phrases relate to quantity, i.e. speed, power, weight capacity etc., whereas with Europeans, Australians, Asians and to a lesser extent Canadians tend to speak in terms of qualities. This is true for more than just motor cars, it's also true for fast food, military, sports etc. It's no accident that Football (Soccer that is) isn't huge in the US and that Smart Cars are very very popular in Canada, yet not even available in the US. Americans drive the biggest vehicales, they use the most resources, eat the biggest meals and, in general are the biggest physically. Maybe we should give them all a laxative, then we could bury them in shoeboxes!

What the fsk is it with you and your anti- USA rants. We're not all fat and we don't all drive fat cars. I drive an Outback on the road and a 1964 Honda S90 motorcycle around town. 175 miles/gal.

Ironically, the US people that post here are probably some of the least objectionable Yanks that you'll find.

Oh, and learn how to bottom-post.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Looks are irrelevant; performance in snow and overall crash safety statistics are all that matter for my purposes. If it is safe and god-awful ugly that is fine with me. I realize others feel differently but as far as I am concerned I sit INSIDE the car, not outside. I care what the inside looks like; why do I care what the outside looks like.

As for AWD, what is your thought about traction control or VDC? Do you truly think all AWD vehicles are the same? Is it not significant to include vehicle control of torque and braking rather than simply AWD from the perspective of handling in snow? Not to mention thinkgs like side/head airbags which are absent in some AWD vehicles.

Reply to
Richard Kaplan

If you like getting to know the service dept. get a VW.

Reply to
bigjim

Ignore the idiot. He just envies everything American.

Don D.

Don