Ordering a Subaru?

I've decided this time around to go with a VDC Wagon, one of the new 2005's.

Talking to the internet sales rep at our local dealer thou', he says it's not possible to actually order a Subaru, you just take what comes in on the boat. I was looking for a VDC in either Silver or White, and he says Subaru has no plans this summer to ship any of those at all.

Is he just handing me a line because he doesn't want to order? Does Subaru support ordering a vehicle? Any dealers up here care to comment?

Thanks!

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

tcassette

Find a new dealer. They can order. He wants to move his inventory, and he doesn't have what you want.

Reply to
Alan

Well they sure used to as I ordered and had to wait 6 weeks for my 85 Turbo XT. I did not however, get what I ordered. I ordered a front wheel drive car in silver and the GL-10 turbo 5 speed. I ended up with the car I ordered only in a 4 Wheel drive. I bought the car anyway for an extra $100.00 in Kasnas City as that is where I worked at the time although I lived in Albuquerque. Anyway, finished the job up about four weeks after the car arrived and then took a little tour in the new car up into Canada, across to Washington (spent the last day of summer driving around Portland with the top out of the car), down to San Francisco and back home to Albuquerque. I stopped into the Subaru dealership there to have them check over the car as I now had a fair number of miles on it and spotted a car which looked just like mine in their show room. Salesman came up to me and asked if he could interest me in a new car today. I said no, I had just bought a new car. Then he said that this car was a special order for a lady there but when it came in it was only a two wheel drive car instead of the 4 wheel drive she ordered and so she did not buy it. He said they put a trace on her car and found it had been delivered to Kansas City but that their customer had picked up the car and was gone! So it looks like I was seeing the exact car I ordered in the first place!

Reply to
JW

He's lying his ass off. I've just ordered a WRX via the internet for delivery in September. No problems at all.

I'd go to another dealer.

Reply to
Ragnar

Sounds fishy. I ordered my 2002 before there were even any in the showroom to look at, and got everything I ordered. Paid a great price too.

Reply to
Debra Co

PS - my car took a grand total of 2 weeks to build and arrive at my dealer. They had previously told me it would take 6-8 weeks.

Reply to
Debra Co

Geez. I recently ordered a Nissan truck and it took 2 months.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Along the same lines, does anyone know if you can order a Subaru "special order" with certain options and not others ? (I am thinking of a base Legacy with a sunroof, no other Ltd options).

Thks,

Thanks everyone!

That's what I thought, all my cars had been made in IN too. I talked to another dealer, who's a little more ambitious, and immediately offered to beat their (already pretty good) deal as well. I'll probably have to order from the looks of it, they're saying 8-10 weeks, but we'll see...

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

If it's anything like Toyota and Honda vehicles that are made in Japan you do sort of have to pick from what comes off the boat, well the dealer does anyway, and there's a wide variety with different packages pre installed, so he can probably snag exactly what you want if you are willing to wait or pretty close to it and fill in the blanks when it arrives at the dealership.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Well Legacys are made in the USA so I would expect you can order what you want.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Not so. I ordered a 99 Forester (Japan) and ordered all kinds of stuff on it. Originally they told me 6-8 weeks, but it came in exactly 4 weeks to the day (even from overseas). Everything on it I ordered (except for the CD player, which the dealer forgot on the original order).

Every dealer should have a fleet sales person who can directly order anything you want, assuming the combinations (color, amentities) are feasible at the factory. Shouldn't take more the 4 weeks to get an Outback, as they are made right here in the USA (Indiana).

-KarenM-

Chris Phillipo wrote:

Reply to
Karen Martin