(ot) Geo Metro electrical problem

Sorry for posting this here, but there is no Geo newsgroup.

My Geo Metro has a problem. It seems there is an intermittent drain on the battery when the car is off. The battery is two years old and the alternator is new.

It will be fine for weeks, then one morning the battery will be dead after working fine the day before. The dome light is not on, nothing in the car is turned on that I can tell; but something must be draining the battery.

I measured the voltage between the posts yesterday and it was 12.5 volts, should be over 13 so I suspected the draining thing was happening. I popped off the ground cable and measured the voltage between the negative post and the ground cable, and it was 11.5 volts. Checked between the posts and that was still 12.5 volts. Why would I measure one volt less going through the cable? Does that mean there is something using power and thereby causing the voltage to be less when measured that way?

Reply to
Ned

You need to measure amperage, not voltage. I suspect it will be 0 amps and that you battery is shot...2 years is not unusual for any car battery. TG

Reply to
TG

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am sorry, but I do not follow you. If the battery has 0 amps, how is it that it holds a charge and starts the car? It's only occasionally that something seems to drain it overnight. And are you saying 2 years is not unusual for a car battery to die? That seems like an awfully short lifespan for a battery, especially a Diehard. I know people who have gotten 7 years out of car batteries.

Reply to
That Guy

2 years is brutally short for a car battery. I'd be extremely displeased with less than 5.

Using a test tool, you will measure very very low amperage regardless of the state of the battery. This is normal, you don't want large amps burning out the tool.

As a next step, disconnect the positive lead, and measure the amperage between the positive terminal and the positive lead. This will tell you the parasitic drain on the battery. You can pull fuses from your fuse box and find out which circuits are causing the drain. Some are supposed to, and others aren't. If you find one that shouldn't be that is, well chances are you've got a short somewhere on that circuit. Then it's time to start checking wires and connectors. The real fun starts then.

But what I would do first is take the battery to a battery shop. Around where I live, they'll take the battery out and load test it for free. You might just have an internal short in the battery or a low cell. You HAVE been checking the "water level" in the battery, right?

Reply to
Cam Penner

Depends on a couple of things. If it were a cheap battery and had been deep-discharged a couple times, it could trash. Hot weather takes its toll on batteries as well.

I buy medium quality batteries and change them every

3 years before they fail. It's 95 degrees here most days in the summer and the car is used for skiing in the winter. I consider that moderately rough service and am ok with 3 years life. What I don't want is my wife stuck up in the mountains with a dead battery.

Of course you may live in a more temperate climate and not be so concerned about an unexpected failure.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

This is about what I was going to say, all good advice.

Reply to
Jerry and Bea

Two years is not unusual for a battery to just GO. My daughter just learned that her 11 month old Ford Explorer had a totally bad battery (after a tow trip to the dealer because the tow truck driver was not able to "jumpstart" her car! I just replaced a two year old battery in a Honda. My daughter's 2001 Honda battery just went this June, as we were planning to leave town.

Batteries are very unpredictable. Some of the worst batteries, in my opinion, are those with the cute names like "DieHard". I used to be a believer, but after three failures in the early 1990s (when I worked for Sears) I have sworn off. Best bet is to buy from a Sam's or Wal-Mart, get their two year replacement guarantee, and hope for worryfree driving and starting.

Oh, I believe in keeping a good battery, good tires, and good brakes on a car. I believe those are top priority.

Afterwards, if you can still afford it, you can tune it, buy a CD player, enjoy your seatwarmers, and wax the darn thing.

Don't waste your time worrying about a two-year old battery. Replace it!

Good luck!

Reply to
GTT

Hi, Die hard is good battery. Maybe you're tying down the battery too tight distorting the case? Good battery should last more less for 5 years. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the info!! Um, water level? How can I know weather or not my battery is the type you can add water to?

That Guy (formerly Ned)

Reply to
That Guy

If there are little pop caps on the top of the battery, or any sort of cap on the top that can be pried up without too too much effort would indicate a place to check. Words like "sealed" and "maintenance free" indicate none possible.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Thanks again!

Reply to