OT: insurance advice

Hi,

my Outback was rear ended yesterday. not too bad, but it sucks - bumper is hanging off, rear door bent inside a little, car is drivable but does not hold the straight line when I do not touch steering wheel.

the other party (Geico) accepts the whole liability. I two options now: go thru the case with my insurance or directly via Geico. Any thing I have to look for dealing with them directly?

should I get like Subaru dealership quote too?

thx, Andy

Reply to
alf

If you wait until Geico hands you check sometime later and if that doesn't happen or they only partially pay, you might have problems trying to report a several-month old incident to your insurance company. Notify your insurance company of the incident, give them the details, but tell them you are proceeding against the other driver's insurance company (i.e., at this time, you are not going to apply the damages against your own coverage).

Don't rely on the payer to give an accurate quote for repairs.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Good advice but do not put yourself out. Go to shop you like and get them to work with Geico to pay. Also, get Geico to pay for a rental. Caution if you were to put it on your insurance, it would go up and you may wait forever to get back deductible as your insurance will take time getting money through Geico. Do not sign off until you are fully satisfied. In my state, even if you sign settlement, insurance is responsible for health claims up to a year.

Reply to
Frank

And remember YOU HAVE A CHOICE where the car is repaired. You do not need to have it done where Geico "recommends"

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Notify your insurance but collect through Geico. They will also pay your rental if you demand it. Bring vehicle to body shop you trust- remember most dealerships sub out body work!!!! Let Geico appraise damage but make sure to get car fixed where YOU want. The damage sounds more than just cosmetic so you want it fixed right.

Reply to
bigjim

that "cosmetics" are worth $4800 - I went to the body shop I used before. the impact went quite deep plus rear door is to be replaced. now I probably want to collect cash and drive the car it is and probably sell it cheap anytime soon.

Reply to
alf

You did not give age or book value of car. My limited experience says that insurance company may total the car and offer book value when cost of repair approaches ~70% of book value.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
bigjim

it does not track very well, but well enough. The adjustr from body shop said that main frame is not impacted - so it could be something else. Will think it thru. Tomorrow I will take it for wheel alignment (I have a lifetime package for that car)

Reply to
alf

the edmunds value of the car before the accident was about $7500-8000 for private party deal, $6700 - trade in.

Next week adjuster from Geico will see it - I expect a much lower quote.

Reply to
alf

You should be OK. When my Forester was totaled, I put it on my insurance because of the time factor in getting the police report on the woman that caused the accident and needing a car for a scheduled vacation. I was ticked off at State Farm for taking 8 days to make decision where book value actually dropped $100. Got money, including the $100 and bought new Forester, then went back to first insurance company to get deductible and settle. They were a pain but fortunately I have two lawyer sons and outcome was more favorable when one mediated. Insurance companies are tight fisted, even with their own clients, and you have to hang tough with them.

Reply to
Frank