OT: is hitchhiking legal or not (in US)

I forgot to add, profits will be up but not without a tremendous social cost, like in America!

Of course America borrows like crazy, putting a band-aid on these problems, and sending their unemployed to fight wars etc., so these costs are not yet apparent in full, but they will be in due time.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Yes, we are in this war for oil and money - but there is nothing wrong with that.

- Kurt

Reply to
~kurt

I think he is talking about how we would all be talking German or Japanese right now if it was not for the US. Despite all the mistakes we have made, we have done more right than wrong.

- Kurt

Reply to
~kurt

Forgot to mention - we could also all be talking Russian and living under a communist regime. Who do you think beat the commies back?

- Kurt

Reply to
~kurt

I think that. I also think that it's unacceptable to encourage countries like Palestine to hold elections, then punish them for not electing the guys we like, or in the case of Nicaragua, actively seek to influence the election. You don't get people to come to a party by shooting some of them, for God's sake.

Reassembler

Reply to
Reassembler

Get off this NG and find another life.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Maynard Keynes and Allen Greenspan.

Reply to
krusty kritter

I believe Georgia does. I used to live there and don't recall ever seeing a hitcher. Also, an old guy I once met claimed he'd gotten 30 days on the chain gang for it.

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:35:14 -0500, Paul Knudsen wrote (in article ):

I once hitchhiked from Chattanooga to New Orleans, cutting across a corner of Georgia. My cousin hitched from New London, CT to New Orleans, but I don't know what route he took. That was in the '50s, and my cousin was in Coast Guard uniform.

Reply to
John Varela

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:33:00 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote (in article ):

That home town wouldn't be Paris, would it? You know, the place with the riots.

I join new2subaru in defending the invasion of Iraq. Every European intelligence service

Reply to
John Varela

Nope, just a tiny little town in Germany...

-- Stephan

2003 Yamaha R6

kimi no koto omoidasu hi nante nai no wa kimi no koto wasureta toki ga nai kara

Reply to
Stephan Rose

The thing that I find europeans tend not to "get" about the US is just how spread out it is. I live in a major city with fairly good local bus and train service. I can catch a commuter train to the town where I work -- but then what? My place of business is about ten miles from the town center, where the bus depot is. The local bus service can get me to the nearest commercial area, but now I've taken two busses and a train and *I'm still twenty minutes walk from work*. The country was built on the assumption of car travel. Maybe not an efficient design, but it has other advantages.

CLose as I can tell, Europe is a continent full of big cities with

*nothing at all* in-between. When europeans comment on the relative state of US mass transit, they're thrown off by the fact that, even if every US city had a great local mass transit system (and most of the mhave pretty good ones already), and every city was connected by a high-speed train line, this would *still not cover the majority of people*.
Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Amen. I live in the Boston area. A number of years ago we had a few visitors from Belgium at our facility. One Monday, they told me that they wanted to drive to Provincetown on the Cape. They said they were astonished at how long it took them to get there. After all, when you look at the map, it's so close. They said that if they had driven that far in Belgium, they would have been in Bopnn, German. They just don't get it!

Al

Reply to
Al

Oh I "get" it alright having spent 10 years of my Life in the US and I realize very well the limitations due to size. That's still not an excuse that there couldn't be better transportation between at the very least the major cities.

I'll accept that you can't connect every dog hut to every other dog hut with public means. But the major cities could be doing much better.

Oh and, you aren't very close with what you can tell. Europe is anything but a continent full of big cities with nothing at all in-between. Matter of fact, that applies to the US far more than it does to Europe.

Europe tends to have dozens of small towns between the major cities.

This area of Germany for example, you tend to have a different town every

2-3 miles. No, I am not kidding...
Reply to
Stephan Rose

I think his point was more along the lines of that you don't have big open spaces between the big cities. The little towns just blend into the nearby city. There are parts of the US like that, but in more of it you can go 10 miles without seeing a building of any kind.

Bruce

Reply to
bsr3997