Outback check engine at exactly 63,500

I've got a 1999 Legacy Outback wagon. Yesterday, at exactly 63,500 miles, my Check Engine light came on solid, and has remained on solid (about 40 miles so far).

Due to the exact count on the odometer, I suspect something arbitrary and mileage-related triggered the light, rather than an actual mechanical failure.

Does anybody here know if any specific part requires replacement at this exact mileage, causing the Check Engine Light to illuminate? And assuming this is the case, will the light turn off automatically if I replace the part?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Jacobs

My '99 Legacy Outback breezed through 63,500 without a Check Engine light. I think it's just coincidence. Check your gas cap and wait

20 start cycles and see if it goes off. (assuming it's running well).
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Whenever the check engine light comes on, you should retrieve the diagnostic code and find the reason. The light does not come on at a preset number of miles.

2 Stroke

Given the age and mileage of the vehicle, I agree with Jim in that it's likely gas-cap related. Subies seem to throw a fit if you don't give the cap at least three clicks, and I always go several more just to be sure. I suppose it could be an oxygen or knock sensor, but it's a bit early to be chomping one of those.

A good investment is an OBDII reader, there are lots of options from standalone readers to computer/PDA interface cables and software. Any way you do it though, it pays for itself in the long run because even if you don't do the work yourself , you can at least walk into a garage knowing it's code 0325 or whatever instead of being clueless. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Don't assume it's the gas cap or something benign. You're up in NY, find an Autozone and they'll pull your MIL codes for free. Just walk in and ask if they can read your "Check Engine Lite".

Depending on what code it is, they may be able to tell you what's wrong. I watched an outback owner get his code pulled, "misfire on cylinder X"; he bought a set of wires, and we put em on right there...CEL cleared, and it ran like a top.

They may not be able to translate if it's one of Subaru's expander codes. Come back here and post it, someone will help ya out.

Reply to
CompUser